Why isn't my SD card being used in my Alcatel One Touch Pop Icon phone

A

AC Question

Hi, I have an Alcatel one touch pop icon and I have run out of internal storage when I go to install new apps. I purchased a 32 Gb SDHC micro card and installed it and my phone does recognize it and it shows plenty of storage is now available, I also set the "Default Write Disk" for "SD Card" but when I try to download a new app. it still says that there is insufficient space on the phone. I just don't understand why if my phone sees the SD card and is directed to use that card in the settings why doesn't it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Setting the SD card as the default storage is only for data or file downloads. Apps still have to download and install directly to Internal Storage first, before you can move a portion of it to the SD card (i.e., if the phone supports that option).

mosley 67

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
I'm using version 4.4.2. This is my first Android phone and my above statements are as I stated, The phone sees the 32 Gb card and the settings are for the phone to use it for all downloads, In the storage setting it shows 28.90 Gbs available on the SDHC card.

Thank You

mosley 67

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
This phone only came with 4 GB's of internal memory but being my first Android phone I really didn't think much about that, I guess the phone was smarter then I was but I've learned a lot in the last few weeks, I guess I'm now just stuck, I mean I like the phone and I do have some of the apps that I want on it but I guess it is what it is. Thanks all for the help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, sorry to hear that--if I had to give just one piece of advice to anyone looking to buy an Android phone, it would be to get as much internal storage as you can afford.

mosley 67

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Yes and I agree with what you said, I have learned quite a lot about these phones in the past few weeks. I do like my phone being the very first one I've owned but if and when I go to purchased another one I will be armed with all of the important information to make a better choice but for now this one fill my needs.

Thanks