Why file transfer over USB C slower than USB 3.0

A

AC Question

Bought a HTC 10 recently and 200GB Micro SD card. I went to transfer 45GB of files to my SD card in phone via the type C cable and the estimated time was over 3 hours where as when I took the SD card out and put it in a USB 3 card reader it estimated just 35 minutes for the same files. Is this meant to be right?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is the USB-C connection on both ends (i.e., also on the computer)? If it's a cable that connects standard USB to USB-C, then the transfer speed may be limited by the computer's USB port. Also, the quality of 3rd party USB-C cables tends to be suspect (mostly when it comes to the power specs--see Benson Leung's Google+ page), so it could be an intrinsic issue with your cable.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
On top of what B.Diddy said, I think it's just simply that the phone manufacturers are not supporting USB 3.0 on devices this time around, even on USB-C. USB-C does not equate to USB 3.0. I think the only devices that supported USB 3.0 were the Samsung devices with the funny-looking double connector.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0#/media/File:Connector_USB_3_IMGP6033_wp.jpg

Actually, B.Diddy, (and I HATE correcting you) the issue Benson targeted is CHARGE speed, not data rates. The wrong resistor in a USB-A to USB-C cable can pose a risk to the device on the USB-A end as the phone will try to draw more current than the source can safely provide.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Actually, B.Diddy, (and I HATE correcting you) the issue Benson targeted is CHARGE speed, not data rates. The wrong resistor in a USB-A to USB-C cable can pose a risk to the device on the USB-A end as the phone will try to draw more current than the source can safely provide.

I have no problems with being corrected! I don't want to disseminate wrong information, so it's welcome.;)

I was aware that Benson looks primarily at the charging issues (which is inherently a more problematic issue, since it can fry the phone)--I was actually just trying to make the point that 3rd party USB-C cables seem to suffer from quality control problems in general. So if these companies don't pay much attention to the resistors they're using, then maybe they're also not paying close attention to the data transfer wiring ...

BattleSwine

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
USB type cables come in either USB 2.0 480kbps or USB 3.1 gen1 5Gbps. Nexus 6P and 5X only have USB type C 2.0 host controller so either will still be limited. HTC 10 specs claim 3.1 gen1 but if you are using USB type C 2.0 to USB type C it will still be capped at 480kbps. Sadly most C to C cables listed for sale are 2.0 variety. It's a limiting factor far to many are unaware of.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool