I have a phone that is inactive (plan ran out). I want to use it as an MP3 player but also want to install some apps from the PlayStore. When I try to access the play store it won't let me (wifi connected and available). Is the problem because there's no active phone service? If so, is there a way to download the install files, maybe to a working android, then copy them to the "mp3" one and install them that way?
    07-07-2016 08:35 AM
    Welcome to the forums. I would try putting the inactive phone in Airplane mode and then turning on your wifi. The fact that there is no data plan with the phone should have no bearing on what you want to do. I have lots of devices with no SIM in them and they can access the net without issue.
    As long as you have a Google account on the phone PlayStore should be accessible. Do you get an error message while attempting to connect? Is the wifi connection OK?
    07-07-2016 08:46 AM
    Welcome to the forums. I would try putting the inactive phone in Airplane mode and then turning on your wifi. The fact that there is no data plan with the phone should have no bearing on what you want to do. I have lots of devices with no SIM in them and they can access the net without issue.
    07-07-2016 08:48 AM
    I tried with both airplane mode on and off. It does the same thing. The play store screen begins to load but then I just get a spinning circle in the middle like it's trying to load the rest of the play store program. I let it sit like that for more than an hour. I'll try again tonight when I get home and see if I get the same result. ZTE Warp N9500 phone running Android 4.0.4. I'll also make sure my gmail account is working OK. I'll let you know what happens.
    07-07-2016 02:12 PM
    You can try resetting app preferences. This can sometimes help with various Google Play issues. When you do this, all defaults will be removed, disabled apps will be reenabled. It's kind of like a reset, but not really.

Go to settings>apps>menu>reset app preferences.
    07-07-2016 03:48 PM
    It looks like my email wasn't fully set up. It's working now!
    07-07-2016 07:57 PM
    It looks like my email wasn't fully set up. It's working now!
    Glad to hear its working. See you around the forums.
    07-08-2016 04:27 PM