Know exactly what I want. Done tons of research. STILL cannot decide which phone to choose, help!

A

AC Question

I desperately need a new phone since my current one (Galaxy Note 2) is deteriorating. I've done a ton of research and still cannot come to a clear decision.

Here's what I'm looking for:

- Screen size between 5,5" and 6"
- Internal storage min. 32 GB, needs to have a microSD card slot (unless it has 128G internal storage)
- Decent camera with OIS (camera should handle low-light shooting well)
- Decent UI
- Great battery life (this is big for me, I'm often on the road, I listen to tons of podcasts, use mobile data, bluetooth, sometimes wifi tethering etc)
- Fingerprint scanner
- Won't put a huge hole in my wallet (I wouldn't mind paying more for the perfect and FUTURE-PROOF phone but seems like there isn't one that checks off all the boxes. At the same time I'm trying to keep it below $500)
- A physical home button is a plus
- Screen res. above 1080p is a plus
- Replaceable battery is a plus
- OTG support is a plus
- USB-C is a plus
- Dual SIM is definitely a plus
- No curved screens like on the Samsung Edge series

I looked at:

- Huawei Mate 8 - checks off most boxes, nice big battery but crappy, buggy, and not very customizable UI.

- Huawei Mate P9 Plus - very interesting camera-wise, the rest just like above

- LG G5 - also very interesting camera-wise, a bit smaller screen, and a battery that's way too small

- Nexus 6P - great reviews and everything, great software BUT I'm mostly based in China where ALL Google services are blocked, so it would probably be a big pain to have to rely on VPN the whole time. Also camera has no OIS, although I did read it's great. Another con: a bit expensive and not easily available in the 128G version

- Samsung Galaxy A9 Pro - the top contender for me so far. The 5000mAh battery is nuts and just what I need. Dual SIM and dedicated microSD slot. Affordable. But the big bummer: sub-par camera. Also a bit low on the DPI if I ever want to use VR. And no notification light (how am I supposed to know if I got notifications?)

- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - a bit slower than the A9 Pro, smaller battery, but better camera. And the stylus - I could definitely use the stylus for more productivity. Just really not sure about investing in the aging technology. I want to get at least 2 years out of the new smartphone. Also I've read there's some issues with GPS that are hard to solve.

- Samsung Galaxy Note 5 - nice and seems like a significant upgrade from Note 4 but no card slot, and expensive at 128G. Still only microUSB v2.0 at the high price point.

- LG V10 and LG G4 - pretty interesting propositions, reportedly good cameras, mediocre batteries at 3000mAh but replaceable.

All in all if I had to go to the store tomorrow I'd probably get a Galaxy A9 Pro. The 5000mAh battery is just too tempting and the price is affordable, but the camera is a huge bummer and the phone is not very future-proof. Also the phone is not very popular, there are only a few reviews on the web, so it doesn't exactly make me confident in case there's any issues with it.

Thoughts? Any recommendations?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Wow, impressive homework to buy a new phone! Have you considered the new ZTE Axon 7? It checks most of your boxes and everything indicates that's a great phone. Not sure when it'll be available where you live.

By the way, welcome to the forums!