I would like to get a Nexus 6P as it is developer-friendly and favored by ROM-developers. However, as a privacy enthusiast, I find its always-listening capabilities disconcerting. Now, I know that at least Google Now only starts transmitting to the mothership when the trigger phrase is heard, and that app can be uninstalled altogether, but I nonetheless find the potential for eavesdropping to be off-putting.

Now, accusations of paranoia aside, I'm wondering if it would be possible to disable the always-listening functionality of the phone for an indefinite amount of time (but not permanently, it should be possible to restore), without affecting the rest of the phone's functionality, e.g. by severely underclocking the Android Sensor Hub? (Bonus points if it's possible to only keep it disabled while the phone is locked and/or the screen is turned off.)

Would it also be possible to have an app monitor the disabled parts while the phone is in an unrooted state? (I assume the disabling process itself will require root though.)
    07-12-2016 02:36 AM