What is the true meaning of the code * # 0228 # ?

A

AC Question

There are countless sites and countless people around the world, reporting that the code "* # 0228 #", is used to calibrate the battery. Although it is something beneficial for all of us, the information obtained to date has not confirmed exactly, if the calibration process through the code is valid or not and whether it is harmful or beneficial.

Anyway, I wonder what it does, the code in question and if it helps, harms or turns the smartphone into a brick.

Note:

1. When you enter the code "* # 0228 #", the screen appears "Battery Status" and just below the "Quick Start"
2.Meu smartphone is a Galaxy Gran Prime Duos using the 4.4.4 version of Android.

mehigh101

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
re:

Welcome to AC! Press "Thanks!" if I helped you!
To calibrate your battery just do a complete cycle 100 to 0. I think that this code erases the battery data and the software creates new one,calibrated.
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge SM-G935F

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
That's a Samsung diagnostic code and tool, it's NOT for the average user. I recommend you use mehigh101's method, just run a full discharge/charge cycle. Most info I read about the Samsung tool says NOT to use it!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
On Android devices released in 2010 or later we don't even recommend discharging to zero, ever. A few days of normal usage is enough to calibrate the battery stat reporting. For the long term health of the battery, ideally the battery should be kept between 40% and 80% as much as possible, with deviation from that being ideally above 80% rather than below 40%. That said, dropping to 20% or even 15% occasionally won't necessarily harm the device and can help with the accuracy of the way that Android guesses your remaining battery percentage and then estimates an approximate usage remaining value.

AnneSofia

Jun 27, 2021
Visit site
On Android devices released in 2010 or later we don't even recommend discharging to zero, ever. A few days of normal usage is enough to calibrate the battery stat reporting. For the long term health of the battery, ideally the battery should be kept between 40% and 80% as much as possible, with deviation from that being ideally above 80% rather than below 40%. That said, dropping to 20% or even 15% occasionally won't necessarily harm the device and can help with the accuracy of the way that Android guesses your remaining battery percentage and then estimates an approximate usage remaining value.

So should I charge up to 100 or only keep it at 80?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So should I charge up to 100 or only keep it at 80?
Hi, welcome to AC!
This thread is a little old so probably not going get any responses. So ill try help .

There are some 3rd party lab the test batteries that say between 40 to 80 percent is optimal for long battery life , the issue with that its not practical in real life , most phone manufacturers dont mentioned this . I have been using smart phones for long time and charge them 5% to 100 without any issues and gotten over 2 years doing so , it depends on you what method you prefer .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX