Understand, my last Droid was an LG Revolution, 2 iPhones ago. One of my big gripes about the phone was the old operating system (Gingerbread, when Jelly Bean was new), was never updated. I plan on making the switch back when as I replace my phone and tablet next time (Tablet next March, phone when it dies), due to aggravation about how Apple is doing things. I notice devices on Verizon with Lollipop and Marshmallow (and one kitkat, eek!). Does Android update older devices to the latest edition, or are you stuck with what comes on your device.

Note: I will go with a major brand like Samsung, Motorola, or LG. So I'm not worried about whether Shanghai Bob's Cellphones does this or not.
    07-24-2016 03:09 PM
    In most cases it's not Android, or Google, that decides if a particular device will get updated, it's up to the device manufacturer. For the best likelihood of getting the next major OS revision for 2 years, get the (or one of the) Nexus device(s) that is due to be announced in the next 6-8 weeks. The Nexus devices are historically manufactured by one of the major manufacturers and updates are released directly by Google without having to wait for the device manufacturer to catch up.

As it pertains to updates, consider the Nexus line the iPhones of Android.

Rumor is that Nougat MIGHT change this for devices released with that OS.
    In most cases it's not Android, or Google, that decides if a particular device will get updated, it's up to the device manufacturer. For the best likelihood of getting the next major OS revision for 2 years, get the (or one of the) Nexus device(s) that is due to be announced in the next 6-8 weeks. The Nexus devices are historically manufactured by one of the major manufacturers and updates are released directly by Google without having to wait for the device manufacturer to catch up.

As it pertains to updates, consider the Nexus line the iPhones of Android.

Rumor is that Nougat MIGHT change this for devices released with that OS.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-24-2016 03:32 PM
    That's the experience I had. I was coming off BlackBerry and my wife went iPhone while I went with the Revolution. But when LG decided not to support the Revo, I was hung out to dry. What is the best strategy for keeping your phone current? Generally I like to buy the next to newest model because I like to upgrade often. My wife (probably giving up Apple too) likes to buy the Rolls Royce and drive it until it dies. I am educating myself on Android after ignoring it for many years. I like Motorola's products but am not sold on the modular features that are coming out. But I don't want to get a Droid Turbo 2 and find out 6 months later they are not updating it.
    07-25-2016 09:34 PM
    At this point I would not recommend the Turbo 2. As mentioned above updates are pushed by the manufacturers. Although updates are getting better, there's still room for improvement to be on the level of updates that Nexus devices are.
    ChrisS9938 likes this.
    07-25-2016 10:06 PM
    If security updates are your top priority, buy a recent Nexus or the BlackBerry PRIV.

If OS updates are your top priority, buy a recent Nexus.

That's pretty much it.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    ChrisS9938 likes this.
    07-25-2016 10:07 PM