I don't understand the "40-80" rule with Li-Ion batteries.

A

AC Question

Hello,

So I just got a new phone, the Nextbit Robbin. I'm really liking it so far, but since it's a new phone I was worrying about everything including the battery life. So with my old smart phone, which was a cheap-o phone (but I think it had a Li-Ion battery) I used to do the old method of charging (because I didn't know any better), wait until it gets close to 0, then charge until it goes to 100. I recently heard this is a bad thing to do with Lithium batteries since they don't have a memory anymore, and since doing that takes up a full "charge cycle", so instead I have been waiting until the battery gets to 40 and I charge it for about 15 minutes until it hits 80 and I unplug it. Thing I don't understand with this method is that I have to do it every single day where as I was charging my old smart phone once a week, sometimes twice a week. So if charging the phone from 0-100 takes up one charge cycle, and 40-80 takes up close to half a charge cycle, and I would only charge the phone once maybe twice a week wouldn't it prolong the battery longer doing that? My thinking is that there is 52 weeks in a year, if I charge my phone once a week that's 52 charge cycles a year. On the other side if I charge my phone from 40-80 everyday that would take up to 150 charge cycles a year.
So am I missing something here? Or is this something I just shouldn't worry about?

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I wouldn't stress too much, charge it when it's low (not fully flat) and charge to 100%. Google battery doctor, there's a long article about batteries if you really want the ins and outs... Lithium doesn't need to be cycled like they old nickel cadmium ones.. They don't like getting hot is the only thing to watch. Enjoy your device

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Just don't run the battery flat or lease as possible. When the device shuts down from a low battery, it's not dead, but drops below a set Voltage to protect the battery from damage. You can charge it to only 90% if you are really worried about keeping battery as healthy as possible.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol