Delete saved login in drop-down list on public-wifi login page

A

AC Question

When I connect to the public wifi at work, a login page pops up for me to enter my username and password. I misspelled the username so I am trying to find out how to delete it from the drop-down list that pops up when I tap on the username field.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7. I went through and deleted the saved logins/passwords from Chrome and other browsers installed on my phone (Samsung's built-in Internet app) but it didn't get rid of the saved logins. I am suspecting that when the pop-up appears, it is not the browser but some built in feature in Settings. That's because when I look at recent apps, the logo of the app that opens the login page is the green android, not any of my browsers.

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
If it's saved in the Wi-Fi networks under the settings options on your phone that's where I believe you should be able to delete or change the username/password for that particular public network.

stevie321

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
If it's saved in the Wi-Fi networks under the settings options on your phone that's where I believe you should be able to delete or change the username/password for that particular public network.

I'm the one who asked the original question. Where do I find the usernames and passwords you are talking about? I clicked on "Wi-Fi" through Settings but don't see that option anywhere. Just to clarify, there is no password required to connect to the network but once you are connected, you need to enter a username and password through the browser before you get internet access

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if your S7 is like this:
Screenshot_2016-08-04-12-50-49.jpg
When I look at Wi-Fi under settings I see the above.

Screenshot_2016-08-04-12-51-38.jpg
Tapping on the dots brings up 3 options.
When I tap "Saved Wi-Fi" I see any recent Wi-Fi network I've connected to:
Screenshot_2016-08-04-12-51-24.jpg

Tapping on anything in Saved Wi-Fi allows you to connect of forget that network.
I was thinking if you got to your work Wi-Fi this way you could choose "Forget" and start over.

(The above is from my LG G4)

stevie321

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
No it doesn't look like that. My phone is a Galaxy S7 with Android 6.0. It has a "more" button on the top right but doesn't have an option to look at saved wi-fi networks. I don't think it would be there anyway because the network itself has no username or password. It's like the wifi at an airport or Starbucks where you can connect easily but have to login or just accept some user agreement via your browser before you are connected to the internet.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm the one who asked the original question. Where do I find the usernames and passwords you are talking about? I clicked on "Wi-Fi" through Settings but don't see that option anywhere. Just to clarify, there is no password required to connect to the network but once you are connected, you need to enter a username and password through the browser before you get internet access
Hello Stevie, welcome to the forums. I think you're talking about the captive portal login. I use a couple of WiFi networks with this login system, but I won't be able to test a couple of things until tomorrow night.

I guess your previous usernames and passwords could be saved in the CaptivePortalLogin app, that you can find in settings - apps - all. I'll clear data for this app and see if next time I get the login screen my username list is still there. I've never tried this before so I can't tell you to do the same. I'll let you know how it goes.

If you feel adventurous you can try it, but don't blame me if something goes wrong :D

Last edited:

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Just did it. I'll tell you how it goes.

773fd43187ddb5e4234aa7cf3c0a8af1.jpg

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Confirmed. Managed to get the login screen this morning. Clearing data for the CaptivePortalLogin app removed ALL my previous usernames and had to enter the credentials again. No other side effects noticed. Tell us if it works for you.

stevie321

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
Confirmed. Managed to get the login screen this morning. Clearing data for the CaptivePortalLogin app removed ALL my previous usernames and had to enter the credentials again. No other side effects noticed. Tell us if it works for you.

Thanks I did what you told. Looks promising as there was a bit of data to delete but wasn't in the office today to test out the public wifi login. I will try Monday and let you know if it worked.

litchie

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with my Galaxy Tab A . It just stopped connecting, asking for password for my home wifi on both 2.4Ghz and 5. I put in the proper PW and it kicks me right back. Tried long press/forget nada!Yet my note 5,Alcatel A30 tab no problem.I haven't added a certificate before as mentioned. Also do you have put the data back on that app after.I apologise for the dumb questions but can anybody help me cuz I'm ready to bust this thing in half.(anger issues)help!

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I have the same matter. I have a Note 8 phone and there is not your mentioned application, CapativePortalLogin, among my apps. Can you kindly help me go find a solution? Thanks.
Welcome to the forums. Usually the CaptivePortalLogin can be found when you select 'show system apps' in your settings.

Just to be sure, which problem are you having?

Regal The Great

Jan 4, 2018
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Usually the CaptivePortalLogin can be found when you select 'show system apps' in your settings.

Just to be sure, which problem are you having?

My matter is:
"When I connect to the public wifi at work, a login page pops up for me to enter my username and password. I misspelled the username so I am trying to find out how to delete it from the drop-down list that pops up when I tap on the username field."

I checked the show system apps section before asking here and unfortunately there was no similar app there.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Does the login page open in a web browser? The one in my former work place opens in a browser. You can clear that if you clear the saved passwords and username for the url of the login page from your browsers.

Regal The Great

Jan 4, 2018
Visit site
Does the login page open in a web browser? The one in my former work place opens in a browser. You can clear that if you clear the saved passwords and username for the url of the login page from your browsers.

As you mentioned, it is easy to clear the saved passwords in the browser (for example Chrome), but my problem is not in the browser; it's a kind of pop-up window belonging to android system. I checked to see if it is an app, but it was not.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
My matter is:
"When I connect to the public wifi at work, a login page pops up for me to enter my username and password. I misspelled the username so I am trying to find out how to delete it from the drop-down list that pops up when I tap on the username field."

I checked the show system apps section before asking here and unfortunately there was no similar app there.
Not sure then, maybe some Samsung devices handle these WiFi login screens in a different way. Let me check with some volunteers that own the Note 8.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy