Updating S6 Firmware manually without modified phone company version

A

AC Question

I'm currently with the Fido phone company and they've delayed the S6 Marshmallow update for over 6 months. Everyone around me on different carriers are already on marshmallow yet I'm still on 5.1.1.

I was wondering if there was a way to update the firmware without having to wait for Fido's modified version (heck knows when they will ever release it). Is there like a stock firmware in which I can just add it onto my phone or is Fido's tweaked version necessary for my phone to work properly (phone is locked to Fido)?. I'd also like to do it without rooting my phone since I don't want to trip the KNOX warranty.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I know nothing about Fido, but no, you can't just install another carrier's firmware... unless you want to brick your phone. The only way to get MM for you is probably root, or wait it out. Have you contacted your carrier to see if they plan to release MM?

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Have a look in Sammobile, if there is a software available for your device, you'll find it there. Some ppl update with software from another country (the numbers have to be the same eg smg920f), but I've never been brave enough to do that. If the device is running well, just wait for the official update which shouldn't be far away. I buy my devices unlocked to avoid delays like that...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non