Should I, a 3G Network Extender owner, get a 4G LTE Network Extender?

A

AC Question

We live in a very rural area and were only able to get, at best, one bar of signal strength, and only 3G on our 4G LTE Verizon Wireless plan. Adding a Samsung 3G Network Extender helped immensely - we are even able to make calls in our basement, which we couldn't do before adding the network extender. That was about 2 years ago.

I was trying to figure out how to add a couple of family members that are on our VZW plan to our network extender and found out that there is now a 4G LTE Network Extender.

Would I benefit at all from replacing my Samsung 3G Network Extender with a Samsung 4G LTE Network Extender?

Capella07

Aug 6, 2016
Visit site
Yes, this whole experience is making me think we may not need an extender at all now. We have 4G phones. And just last summer they put in a tower about mile or so from my house. We just have had the extender in for about 2 yrs now and have pretty much forgotten about it until this came up today (adding the other members on my plan to the extender's priority list).

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Try without. It may be good.
I'm not certain of the technology here, but I believe that a 3g booster is best for calls. If you want mobile internet as well, the 4g booster may help, unless your signal is now strong enough without boosting.

flumdog

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
We have 4G phones.

It's not a question of whether your phones are 4G but whether they have Advanced Calling capability. Advanced Calling uses the LTE band for both voice and data, whereas most 4G phones use LTE for data but revert back to the original CDMA band for voice (mine would revert to 1x in the status bar during a call). That's why lots of phones can't do simultaneous voice and data anymore. But Advanced Calling solves that problem.

I know that recent Nexus and Samsung phones have Advance Calling but am not sure what others are out there yet.

If you don't have Advanced Calling-capable phones the 4G Extender won't help you with voice transmission. And I don't know why you'd want to have better 4G in the house just for data if you already have decent Wifi.

I just upgraded to the 4G version and it's really nice though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellie10