It seems that when I search for a contact, tapping on the contact will call the number. Long press also simply call the number. There are no dots on this search screen; there is no pencil (to edit); I just CANNOT edit the contact after searching for it.

Now, if I understand this correctly, it means that if I EVER want to EDIT ANY CONTACT, I will have to SCROLL (!!!) through all of my (hundreds of) contacts to find the one I want to edit!!? I should be able to SEARCH instead of SCROLLING when using Google's operating system.

(Rant: I am in utter disbelief right now. Google has disappointed me before, but this is absolutely ridiculous. The king of search has removed a very basic function of the contact search results view. This is either a MAJOR oversight or a MAJOR lapse in judgment by developers. In Android 4, I could search for a contact and then edit it. I hate when updates remove basic functions.)
    08-09-2016 09:33 AM
    It seems that when I search for a contact, tapping on the contact will call the number. Long press also simply call the number. There are no dots on this search screen; there is no pencil (to edit); I just CANNOT edit the contact after searching for it.

Now, if I understand this correctly, it means that if I EVER want to EDIT ANY CONTACT, I will have to SCROLL (!!!) through all of my (hundreds of) contacts to find the one I want to edit!!? I should be able to SEARCH instead of SCROLLING when using Google's operating system.

(Rant: I am in utter disbelief right now. Google has disappointed me before, but this is absolutely ridiculous. The king of search has removed a very basic function of the contact search results view. This is either a MAJOR oversight or a MAJOR lapse in judgment by developers. In Android 4, I could search for a contact and then edit it. I hate when updates remove basic functions.)
    Hey man - let's see if we can help. First, if you could make an account, it'll be easier to participate in this thread. I will hopefully be able to help, but I need to know some things.

First of all, what phone are you using? Second, how are you searching for your contacts? Are you in the phone or the contacts app?

In my contacts app, if I press on a contact, it brings up the contact card and allows me to edit it there. If you are in the phone, tap on the contact's image/thumbnail/picture on the far left (if your dialer app is like mine) and it should bring up a contact card that allows you to edit the contact.

Hopefully that helps!
    08-09-2016 11:27 AM
    Yes, I see now that the Contacts app does what I want--i.e. I can search for a contact and then edit it. I'm not sure why there is even a Contacts app separate from the Phone app. That's not intuitive at all. The Contacts app should be contained within the Phone app. I reallly don't get that.
    08-09-2016 06:30 PM