Android 5.1.1 on SM-P600. For the last few of days, mediaserver is draining the battery on standby in about 12 hours. I searched on various forums and the same problem was reported a couple of years ago for android phones but no quick fixes found. Corruption of the SD card was suggested, so I removed that, but I don't think it's made any difference. I had been playing files from a personal cloud on the router (WD), might that have something to do with it.
    08-15-2016 06:39 AM
    The MediaServer process is responsible for not only media playback, but also cataloging the media files on the device. That is how, when you launch the media player, it is able to give you a list of all the music/movies you have on the device.

There has long been a suspected issue with the MediaServer when it encounters corrupted metadata in MP3 files. It's possible whatever app you are using to stream media from your personal cloud server is caching those files to the device's internal storage, and the Media Server is trying to scan them. Ideally, apps that are simple caching data should have an empty file named ".nomedia" in the folder that it caches to. Note the period as the first character. In Linux, a file starting with a period is considered a "hidden" file. The MediaServer process will ignore any folder where a file with this name is present.

See if you can find a folder with a bunch of MP3 files (and no ".nomedia" file) that you didn't put there. Apps like FX File Explorer in the Play Store can help with that. Try clearing those files out (copy them somewhere, just in case), and see if the excessive drain continues.

Unfortunately, without knowing more about what app you were using for playback, I can't offer much more help than that.
    08-15-2016 11:27 AM
    Was having same mediaserver battery drain problem. Phone was overheating and etc. Tried deleting media on phone (pics, music etc and even a entire phone reset). After a day the problem showed back up. Was getting really frustrated.. but than found answer on reddit 4 days ago. Disabled Chrome browser (unable to uninstall for some reason) and for last three days haven't had any mediaserver issues and have all day battery life back! Give it a try.
    belodion likes this.
    08-26-2016 07:45 AM