Why wouldn't google remove obsolete apps when installing new ones?

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have a droid turbo on Verizon.
I know that they love their bloatware, and outside of having duplicate calendar and sms apps I am ok with it.

However, google no longer supports quickoffice, so you are given the choice to update to google sheets, etc.

If google is performing the update, why would the obsolete app be allowed to remain on the device?

Is it google? Is it Verizon? I suspect that latter, but if the former is the one pushing it onto the end user, then it should allow the uninstall of the older app?

What have you guys done outside of buy a nexus?

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, a lot of this bloatware is in the "system" partition (along with Android itself) and cannot be removed by the end-user, except with a Firmware update. Even if you install Google Sheets, that app install cannot remove QuickOffice. Only a firmware update from Verizon which does not contain the APK in the system partition can remove it. Some OEM's/Carriers have begun to ship their bloatware in the user partition (like a normal app) so that they can be removed by the end-user, if they choose to, but I imagine that there are contractual deals (ie: $$$) which ultimately affect how these apps are bundled with the device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci