I am using a Samsung Galaxy S4 i-9505 with Android 5.0.1 in it. I have this terrible need to format my phone but i can't since i have a lot of messenger apps and i dont know how to back the conversations in those apps as i have this habit of reading them again when i want to again. Is there a way to back up those conversations on to my laptop? Some of the apps i'm using are whats app,line,telegram etc. I'm also kinda paronoid about online cloud back up!
    08-24-2016 08:59 AM
    Ok, so I use Telegram and I think it stored your data on their server automatically.
    Whatsapp has your Google Drive backup option (Text+Images, videos are optional) + local backup inside WhatsApp folder.
    I have no clue about Line.

Note : But make sure to copy all the folders for all the apps from phone to your laptop.

Now, you can restore all the folders at their respective path, install the apps and restore the data from server.
    DD993 and mru007 like this.
    08-24-2016 09:50 AM
    Ok, so I use Telegram and I think it stored your data on their server automatically.
    Whatsapp has your Google Drive backup option (Text+Images, videos are optional) + local backup inside WhatsApp folder.
    I have no clue about Line.

Note : But make sure to copy all the folders for all the apps from phone to your laptop.

Now, you can restore all the folders at their respective path, install the apps and restore the data from server.

Thank you very much.
    I do have a small doubt though....
    What if i just back up those folders on to my laptop and then format my phone and before installing the apps again i put the folders back in and install. Does that work? Are the conversations saved too?
    I dont actually want the photos or videos back. Just the texts!
    Once again,thank you very much for taking the time to reply.
    08-25-2016 01:21 AM
    Yes Yes, before installing the app, you have to restore that folder.
    08-29-2016 06:10 AM
    WhatsApp can sync (backup) chats to Google Drive or save chats on your device (generates a file - msgstore.db.crypt).

I have heard that Telegram keeps chats on the server (I don't use this app so check on the Internet to be sure whether it restores all the chats afterwards).

And for Line or other messengers........I don't think by just copying the app folder to Android->Data will retain the chats & display them when you open the app. The app (Line or others) must have a 'sync messages' feature to sync all your chats with the server or an offline backup option that will generate a backup file.
    08-29-2016 07:15 AM