I am trying to turn on "Android Device Manager" on my (first) android phone. I am following googles directions and cannot find setting. In device security settings, there is nothing that says "Android Device Manager," where I can switch "Remotely locate this device and Allow remote lock and erase" on or off.
    08-25-2016 02:11 PM
    I am trying to turn on "Android Device Manager" on my (first) android phone. I am following googles directions and cannot find setting. In device security settings, there is nothing that says "Android Device Manager," where I can switch "Remotely locate this device and Allow remote lock and erase" on or off.
    Android device manager is an app isn't it?
    sfoLAX likes this.
    08-25-2016 02:16 PM
    Welcome to the forums. What device do you have? Just in case, go to settings - security - device administrators and sure that Android Device Manager is checked.
    08-25-2016 02:24 PM
    Yes, it is an app. But Googles directions say to go into device settings, not app settings.
    1) Open your device's Settings app Settings.
    2) Tap Security.
    3) Under "Android Device Manager," switch Remotely locate this device and Allow remote lock and erase on or off.

The Device Manager app is used to locate device, not set it up.

https://support.google.com/accounts/.../3265955?hl=en
    08-25-2016 02:30 PM
    Hello. You raise an interesting aspect of Android Device Manager, which I have a mild interest in.

If you don't have the app called "Device Manager" in your apps, you can download it from the Play Store.

Then it will probably ask you to agree to some permissions, and you will indeed see it in Security - Device Administrators and checked to allow it to do what it does.

I was going to say you don't need the app particularly, that if you lose your device you can go to another browser and find / wipe / lock it on
    www.google.com/android/devicemanager.
    It seems you need to have those permissions installed on the phone though.

Remember it's best to leave Location turned on in the Settings so you can find it, but you can Lock (and leave a message with a contact number dialer) or Wipe without Location being on. Even when the phone is off it should Lock / or Wipe shortly after being turned on.

What device do you have?

08-25-2016 02:38 PM
    I have an Alcatel OneTouch Pop Icon.

I did as you suggested, and went into "Device Administrators" and "Allow Android Device Manager to lock or erase a lost device" is already checked. But when I log into device manager through a browser and with the Device Manager app, my device does not show up.
    sfoLAX likes this.
    08-25-2016 02:42 PM
    "Allow Android Device Manager to lock or delete a lost device" is checked. I have the app it does not show my device. And it does not show my device when I log into the device manager at https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager. It says "No active devices."

I have an Alcatel OneTouch Pop icon.
    08-25-2016 02:47 PM
    And in Location Access settings, Device Manager has been activated. In security settings Android Device Manager is also activated.
    sfoLAX likes this.
    08-25-2016 02:51 PM
    Thanks for registering.
    Welcome to Android Central.

It may be your device is not showing on your account yet.

Try logging in to Google Dashboard,
    https://accounts.google.com/ServiceL...ings/dashboard

, and under Devices in Play Store there the Alcatel should be visible for ADM to wotk.

I presume you haven't changed the password as that can take 24 hours, I read somewhere.

08-25-2016 02:57 PM
    Didn't see Javier there

Clash of clans !
    08-25-2016 03:09 PM
    Thanks for registering.
    Welcome to Android Central.

It may be your device is not showing on your account yet.

Try logging in to Google Dashboard,
    https://accounts.google.com/ServiceL...ings/dashboard

, and under Devices in Play Store there the Alcatel should be visible for ADM to wotk.

I presume you haven't changed the password as that can take 24 hours, I read somewhere.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...c12b54aaba.jpg
    I don't know how to get to the screen that your screenshot shows. And I can't figure out how to take a screenshot of the screen I am on. I am getting very frustrated and ready to go back to an iDevice. Hopefully the learning curve isn't too steep.

I have clicked on your link. It does not bring up what your screenshot shows. It brings up a dashboard. Under Android when I click on "manage active devices" it says I have no active devices. Under play store, I do not see anything that lists devices. Only "view applications"

I am finding it really hard to believe that this is such a difficult thing.
    08-25-2016 04:23 PM
    OK. Found the Google Play device settings when I logged in from my browser on my laptop. My device is showing up there. And there is a checkmark next to show in menus.

And I have not changed my google password since setting up this device yesterday.
    08-25-2016 04:27 PM
    08-25-2016 05:09 PM
    Hmm.

Anyhow, just FYI, Google was referring to the "Google Settings" app, then Security on your link. I forgot about this old app. Anyway turning ADM on / off there is duplicated in Settings - Security - Device Administrators. SMH!

Have you had any problems Syncing.
    If you go to Settings - Accounts - Google , tap your account name (check it's correct) and you have the Sync page.

These may be pointless but you could try
    1. On your laptop open the Play Store there, pick an app and select download (remotely to your device). I don't think that will work yet according to what you're saying.

2. There is a new shortcut where you just type find my mobile when you are logged in to Google on a browser. Try Chrome.
    08-25-2016 05:10 PM
    Anyhow try the link in the previous post.
    There is a Google app, as well as a Google Settings app (gear wheel icon).

It wants you to make sure the app is up to date, so type Google in the Play Store app search box.
    Try to follow the rest on your device and laptop.
    This is unusually long winded but it may isolate an error somewhere.

Get back tomorrow or when you have the time.

[GUIDE] How To Post Screenshots on Android Central
    08-25-2016 05:24 PM