Updating an AT&T phone that's unlocked& on T-Mobile network

A

AC Question

So much for T-Mobile's big "un-carrier revolution"! I was just informed by the revolution itself that while they're happy to have my money every month, using any phone I choose, unless I bought the phone from them, I won't be able to update the os. I know information obtained from corporate sources are rarely the final word and almost never provide you with all the info, and I'm hoping this is the case this time too. Can I update my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (SM-N910A) that's unlocked and on the T-Mobile network? ...and if yes, how? Any help/info will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. You need an AT&T sim to finish the update. As it stands, there is an AT&T ROM on the device. To the best of my knowledge, you can't flash a TMobile ROM onto a different device.

Lisa Bird

Mar 24, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. You need an AT&T sim to finish the update. As it stands, there is an AT&T ROM on the device. To the best of my knowledge, you can't flash a TMobile ROM onto a different device.

Thanks for the welcome and the info!
Would I just buy a sim from AT&? Would it need to be an active sim (for an active AT&T account?). Is updating the OS something I even need to be concerned about (send like it would be, but...?)
Sorry about the 20 questions! As you can tell I'm fairly green when it comes to mobile tech, but I'm learning! Thanks again!!

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it needs to be active. I believe you can get the update by going to a best buy. Upgrades generally bring improvements to devices. The latest version for your device is 5.1.1. Do you know what version your Note is running? It's in settings>about device

Lisa Bird

Mar 24, 2015
Visit site
It's running 5.0.1 so it's a little behind the curve. Great recommendation to take it to best buy! Team Geek helped a friend of mine with something similar, now that you mention them. I'll give them a call. Thank you so much! You're all so kind to help!! Very appreciated.