Short version: NEXUS 10 (I think) tablet won't boot; not recognized via USB from computers I've attached it to (Linux VM which *does* see a USB stick) nor my MacBook Pro.

Longer version: Mom handed me a Nexus tablet that won't boot. It appears to be a 10 (best guess based upon looking at search result images). If I just push the start button it tries to start but just sits on a black screen with the word/icon 'Google' center screen; and it just sits there.

If I push power+both volume buttons I get into a bootloader menu and I can cycle through these options:
    a) Start: This doesn't work. I feel it vibrate then the word Google appears center screen on a black background. I've left it overnight. It remains in that state.
    b) Restart bootloader: Pushing power again makes it vibrates, then brings me back to the same bootloader menu.
    c) Recovery mode: Pushing power makes it vibrate, then the Google icon in center screen for about 5 seconds, then it shows an android icon laying on its back with a red triangle and exclamation point.
    d) Power off: This works, i.e. the tablet turns off. (Cool! At least something works on this damned thing.)

Some info that might help:
    Product name: manta
    variant: wifi
    n/w version: 8
    bootloader version: MANTAF01
    carrier info: none
    serial #: R320204A0VE
    lock state: locked
    reboot mode flag: none

I started down this path: androidcentral.com/how-unlock-nexus-10-bootloader, and then discovered this page: wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Build_for_manta and was using that as my guide.

I have fastboot and adb installed on my Linux VM (both appear to be operating normally), and I made sure the Linux VM (Ubuntu 14.04LTS) could read a USB stick. However, when I put hook the tablet up to the Linux VM or my MacBook Pro it isn't recognized. (Yes the cable works; the Linux VM successfully mounted my phone.)

Since I was given the tablet in this state I wasn't able to 'Enable debugging' before trying this. Do I have other options? What else can I try?

Looking at dmesg on the Linux VM reveals that it CAN see the device (at least I think so because dmesg is showing me the serial number, manufacturer, etc. of the Nexus tablet.) I used this page help.ubuntu.com/community/Mount/USB but using sudo fdisk -l reveals that the tablet doesn't mount nor does fdisk see it. I'm unable to even see the tablet on my MBP (I'm using dmesg to look for clues, and I'm using diskutil to look for it.)

Other ideas?
    It's late here and will check responses in the morning.
    Thank you in advance.
    08-26-2016 02:36 AM