For a long time my samsung galaxy s5 has had charging problems where i have had to wiggle the charger around inside the charging point until it seems to make contact and start charging. A few weeks ago my phone stopped charging and when it was turned off a battery icon with a yellow triangle and exclamation mark would appear when plugged in. I took it to a repair shop and they sold me a new battery however nothing happened and the problem continued. After taking it in again they told me it was water damage and it would cost £160 to fix. I declined and instead left it in rice over night. The next day it was fine and charged well and did so for a few weeks. However the problem has returned just about 2 days ago. I have tried rice again but to no avail. I have tried with multiple chargers and plugs. At some points today i would be able to get it to charge but i would have to hold the charger in at an angle and i would try to leave it to charge but as soon as i let go it stopped. I am wondering whether it is damage to the charging port and i have looked into wireless charges as to avoid the issue. Thanks for any help or advice. p.s. the phone works fine it is just the charging
    08-28-2016 10:23 AM
    It sounds like damage to the port. Check first that it's clean.
    08-28-2016 02:44 PM
    The charging port is damaged, not dirty. It's a common problem. The shop owes you for a perfectly good battery. (Leaving a wet phone in rice is the WORST thing you can do - see Oh, no! My Phone got Wet!.)

("Have to hold the charger in at an angle" is as much a diagnostic term for "loose or defective charging port" as "his heart is disconnected from his body" is a diagnostic term for "he's dead".)

Assuming internal wireless charging points (I think the S5 has them), it will - but the charge will be 800mA, not the 1,200 or 1,800ma you're used to, so it'll take longer to charge. A charging port board for the S5 is about $10, it's virtually drop-in and will fix the problem the right way. (Look for s5 charging port on ebay.) Anyone who's worked on the internals of a cellphone can swap the bad and good ones in a couple of minutes.
    belodion likes this.
    08-28-2016 04:36 PM