How do I fix Android 7.0 error on Nexus 9 "google play services stopping"?

A

AC Question

Just installed Android 7.0 on my Nexus 9. Now I keep getting (every couple seconds) Google Play services keeps stopping" Any advise

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
re: How do I fix Android 7.0 error message on Nexus 9 "google play services keeps stopping"?

Welcome to Android Central! In order to help you, might need to ask a few questions and have you try a couple things. Best if you maybe join the site so you can respond to the thread. It's real easy, here's how...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

Ok have you tried rebooting your device? Make sure you have the latest version of Google Play Services on your device (it's in the store, search by the exact name).

Aprusso

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
re: How do I fix Android 7.0 error message on Nexus 9 "google play services keeps stopping"?

Just installed Android 7.0 on my Nexus 9. Now I keep getting (every couple seconds) Google Play services keeps stopping" Any advise

I have the same problem. And Google play will not run -- just a blank gray page -- so I cannot update any apps.my nexus tablet is unusable.

Adam Mamrak

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site

I'm also having the same issue from yesterday's update. I can't go to the google play store to update apps. I can't uninstall the latest updates to google play services because it says that google play services is a device administrator and then force closes settings when I attempt to uncheck it as an administrator. I can't download an update to google play services from APK Mirror because google play services manages downloads. When I go into the app settings, there isn't an option to force close or clear the cache on google play services. I'm stumped on what to do, besides clicking "close" literally every 2-3 seconds.

Adam Mamrak

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site

It gets better....It won't connect through USB to my laptop so that I can transfer the APK to the tablet to run the update.

Aprusso

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site

Above article did not help. Note the error is "keeps stopping" not " had stopped." We still need a fix, ASAP please. Thanks.

Aprusso

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site

Reinstalling firmware doesn't seem to be an easy option because adb won't work over USB (the device appears to be offline according to adb devices). Others have stated USB connectivity is broken with this problem, and I am seeing similar symptoms.

Kris Johnson2

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site

I also made the upgrade to Android 7 on my Nexus 9. It is now unusable. Has anybody found a solution to this problem?

Adam Mamrak

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site

The only solution that I found online was a factory reset. It worked for every other person on that board and it worked for me. I was able to transfer files in one direction from my tablet to my PC by ftp, using a file explorer program that I already had installed, but you lose everything otherwise.

Last edited:

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

It may be worth manually reinstalling the firmware, then: How to manually update your Nexus | Android Central

Reinstalling firmware doesn't seem to be an easy option because adb won't work over USB (the device appears to be offline according to adb devices). Others have stated USB connectivity is broken with this problem, and I am seeing similar symptoms.

The only solution that I found online was a factory reset. It worked for every other person on that board and it worked for me. I was able to transfer files in one direction from my tablet to my PC by ftp, using a file explorer program that I already had installed, but you lose everything otherwise.

Well I hate to say it, and as much as a PIA as it is, it seems like a factory reset/firmware reload IS the solution here. :( As such I have changed the best answer! Sometimes we just have to do these things BUT it's worth it it right? Isn't getting your tablet working again worth an afternoon's effort? I just spent the last afternoon reloading all the programs on my iPad after Apple replaced it. I gratefully did it, I was just glad the warranty applied and all I'm gonna say on it was that Apple was generous in their application of the warranty. ;)

Aprusso

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Re: How do I fix Android 7.0 error message on Nexus 9 "google play services keeps stopping"?

I bit the bullet and did a factory data reset. At least this worked and I'm still on Android 7.0. Annoying but at least my tablet is useful again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a related problem. Android 7.0 locks up no matter what app I am in. It runs for 15 minutes and then just locks requiring a reboot. Absolutely useless.

Welcome to Android Central! I suggest creating a new thread with your question, since the issue in the OP of this thread was with Google Play Services stopping. Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan