Samsung S5 Wont Charge Wireless, Charger won't turn on.

A

AC Question

I don't know what to do now. I ordered two QI receivers (the $5 that goes inside the phone), one for my S3, one for my S5. I also have two Samsung brand wireless chargers.

I installed one Qi receiving pad in a Samsung S3, and when I put it on the charger, it works just fine. The Samsung Wireless charger turns on, and actually charges the S3.

I installed a Qi receiving pad in my S5, and it does nothing. The charging pad is installed correctly. When I place the S5 on the Samsung wireless charger, the charger does not turn on, and the phone does not charge.

Here's where I am lost: I placed the S3 (with the charging receiver) on the wireless charger. After the light on the charger lit up, indicating it was on, I quickly swapped to the S5 (with the receiver installed). The wireless charger stayed on, and the S5 was actually charging. It went from 70% to 85% before I removed it.

So the S5 will actually charge wirelessly, but for some reason the charger won't turn on with the S5. Why would the S3 turn the charger on, but the S5 with the same brand charging receiver not turn the charger on?

I have tried two different S5's, two different Qi Receivers, and Two different Samsung Wireless Chargers. I also placed an S7 (wireless charging preinstalled) on the Samsung Wireless charger, and the S7 charges wirelessly as well with no issues.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Have you already spent some time slowly moving the S5 around on the charger, in case there's a tricky "sweet spot" that the charger has to recognize?

Also, is it possible to remove the charging sticker from the S3, and test it on the S5 instead?

metalpeddler88

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. :)
And I have tried all over the place trying to find that sweet spot, no luck. I tried to use the S3 receiver pad on the S5, but since it doesn't align, it's difficult. I taped the pad on to at least make contact with the pins, and I could not get it to work. :(

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh sorry, I didn't realize the two pads were different in shape/size.

You might consider getting another pad for the S5 to see if you just have a defective one. Can you contact the seller where you got them and ask for an exchange or replacement?

metalpeddler88

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
That was my first thought, that the pad for the S5 was defective. The seller was quick to help me out, but the replacements didn't help either. I was considering a different "brand" receiver to see if that would work (it was an Ebay special). Perhaps the ones I got were just in a bad batch.

metalpeddler88

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
Solved. Turns out that another brand's receiving pad worked out. Plopped the phone on the charger, and voila! I guess I just had a bad batch from the original brand. I figured I should report back in, just in case someone else runs into this issue like I did. :)