Storage space on moto g is wrong

A

AC Question

My Moto G isn't providing me with storage that it says I have. It says that my total internal storage space is 5.51 GB, but it says I only have 1.89GB available with only...
-2.06GB Apps
--1.74MB Cached Data

I have an micro SD card installed and things like photos, videos, audio have been moved to that. The Android OS storage is completely separate from the internal storage also.

However, the fact is that the internal storage does not add up. I should have an extra 3.45GB than what it is showing. Does anyone know why this is? And how I can rectify it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I'm not sure exactly what's going on. My guess is that there might be 1 GB of various miscellaneous files that aren't classified as app data. Thumbnails might be something to check--go to the /DCIM directory on Internal Storage and look for the .thumbnails directory. See how big that is. Thumbnails and the thumbnail database file can get pretty big over time.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
sfoLAX;5388643I said:
wondered if Android 6.0 is not showing the correct OS storage space taken up.
It's not. It's showing the space as seen by Linux but not as seen by Android, which is what you're interested in. The df command (from a command prompt) will show you partition free space. (There are a few different "free storage" spaces on an Android phone, so you might see 100k free on a 16GB phone, and they're both "correct". Among other things, it depends on how storage is partitioned.)