Phone won't connect via USB to computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AC Question

Hello. I recently bought a Wiko Ridge 4G and when I connect it via USB to my desktop, it "charges" for a few seconds, shows the options of the connection, and then just stops as if it wasn't connected at all.

The drivers start installing on PC but they get stuck right on the beginning and do nothing until it just disappears. Reinstaller USB drivers (I think) and updated all other drivers, even tried downloading Wiko Ridge 4G specific drivers to no avail.

When I access Device Manager and try to update the driver (because it says that's the main issue with it) this is what happens puu.sh/qW7gM/18bfba06d0.png (and the device saying RIDGE 4G quickly turns to Unknown Device).

My question is if someone ever had this problem and if so how to fix it? Because I'm really not keen on sending it to the store just to come back the same, I have a feeling this is something very specific. Thanks in advance!

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
It 's a PC related issue. You need the drivers installed for the PC to find the phone. Try installing as administrator or through Device Manager. Check Windows event log as that should give some clues

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
It 's a PC related issue. You need the drivers installed for the PC to find the phone. Try installing as administrator or through Device Manager. Check Windows event log as that should give some clues

Thank you for such a fast reply. However, what do you mean by "installing as administrator"? As soon as I connect the phone, it just immediately starts downloading the driver, and then "crashes". I've just tried the same with my tablet and, although it charges, it gives the same error. Will check Windows event log asap then, even if I'm not sure how to use it.

cactuspete23

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
Sometimes my phone connects to computer when I plug it in already ON, but other times its connects when I connect, then turn the phone power ON... NOT a solution, but something to try

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
I see you are doing this through device manager. Try downloading the drivers and installing that way. Drivers are here Download Wiko Ridge 4G USB Driver
If that doesn't work I'll explain about event log

Tried it before, but will do again now and leave it for a bit. However, that drive confuses me - the video shows a different setup than the description, but I'm assuming it's enough to just double-click it.

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
I see you are doing this through device manager. Try downloading the drivers and installing that way. Drivers are here Download Wiko Ridge 4G USB Driver
If that doesn't work I'll explain about event log

Just unninstalled everything, restarted the computer and installed that driver and still same issue. It always seems to go back to this MTP device thing.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
MTP device thing? What message are you getting? I couldn't access your screenshot. An MTP connection should allow you to view files on your device.

"Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.
MTP Device
A service installation section in this INF is invalid.

If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software."

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
CAn you give this a go? Download Wiko Ridge 4G Driver | Android PC Suite & USB Driver Resources

I also found this quoted "o to phone settings, press more and then press connection sharing,

and finally enable "via USB". Windows will immediately be asked to choose an action (open the file, import photos, ...). I hope it will benefit someone"

Tried the first option, it didn't do much. Most of the options seemed to be premium only and there wasn't anything I could do related to this problem - unless I'd start using developer mode actively, taking double the time and effort and only for 5 days since it's just a trial version.

Second option I've tried as well, like that it does charge (although slower, and my goal isn't really to charge it via PC at all) but does nothing else, if I try to, it just goes back to badly installed drivers and the MTP device error. I'm guessing both these solutions were trying to focus on the phone itself and since none works, that the problem really is my computer and this type of connections.

EDIT: Just tried it on my brother's laptop, and it works fine. Same for tablet, which doesn't fully work on PC. Maybe I should take this issue to a PC - or something - forum instead and explain the situation?

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
OK, perhaps your mtp drivers are corrupt. Install the file wpdmtp.inf here wpdmtp.inf download - free inf files
I would urge you to back up your old one which should be in Windows/System32 by renaming it. Then see if you get access

That didn't work. However, taking your conclusion about the drivers being corrupt into account, I googled around and found other MTP drivers (Android MTP Drivers Download for Windows 10, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP) which temporarily did the trick for storage access - it charged while in this mode (but did nothing in charging only mode), and I could mess around the files, but after a while and a few more tests, it just went back to the same old MTP driver error (and now the one I downloaded wont work anymore). Is there a way to fully reinstall the MTP drivers, or something like that?

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki