My sim card is removed but still using data?

A

AC Question

I am travelling overseas and didn't want to incur any roaming fees so I removed my sim card. I have been connecting thru WiFi. I am concerned because my phone is showing data usage over this period. I thought my phone only showed data usage over 3g/4g - not WiFi data usage. I totally thought once the sim card was removed I was "safe" from excessive roaming fees, but now I am getting worried. My phone is a Samsung s4 mini with Verizon.

Count Chokula

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
You can also manually disable your mobile data under your network connections settings. Simply uncheck the boxes that says "mobile data" and "data roaming" and that should resolve your issue.

Concernedtraveller

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
A follow up question from the OP here....So, are you saying that I can be charged/have been incurring fees with my sim card removed? I am confused because I thought this was how Verizon "identified" my phone, and with it removed there was no way to incur any charges.
Am I totally mistaken about the purpose of a sim card?

Concernedtraveller

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
And the worrying thing is, if I am somehow responsible for the data my phone is indicating used, I will have a bill of $700 (359Mb@ $2.05 per). And I never actually needed hate phone, just used it because the WiFi service was available. There is no point is contacting Verizon now, I only have three days of vacation left, but this possible cost really has me worried.

Concernedtraveller

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
I am the original poster, and obviously I have not been clear. I removed the sim card from my phone when I left the U.S.. I thought this meant I have effectively "turned off" my phone from anything connected to Verizon. I expected to only be able to use my phone to access WiFi (via hotel hotspots etc). I expected that this way I would never be risking incurring any fees. BUT, my phone is showing data has been used. I am confused, and worried.

Count Chokula

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
If you removed your SIM card from your phone prior to going on your trip, that should technically have been enough to prevent you from being charged. As you've rightly said in your previous post, this would be the only way for your service provider to identify your phone and thus charge you for data you are using on their network or the foreign networks of your immediate locale which you are piggybacking on. I can't logically see how they could without it.

Someone else can correct me if I am wrong but I highly doubt it.

Count Chokula

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
I am the original poster, and obviously I have not been clear. I removed the sim card from my phone when I left the U.S.. I thought this meant I have effectively "turned off" my phone from anything connected to Verizon. I expected to only be able to use my phone to access WiFi (via hotel hotspots etc). I expected that this way I would never be risking incurring any fees. BUT, my phone is showing data has been used. I am confused, and worried.
As for your phone showing that data has been used, WiFi does count as data technically, just not mobile data.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay