Can you recover, clone, and mount an encrypted android partition on a pc?

A

AC Question

I have an LG G2 LS980 that recently had the digitizer/touch sensitivity go out on the part of the screen I would need to enter my pin. It held up for 4 years so NO COMPLAINTS THERE!!! I used the built-in encryption software to full-disk encrypt with pin. I unfortunately didn't have USB Debugging enabled, otherwise I would have just forced the keyevents for the encryption pin and recovered the data. I apologize if this is a redundant question. I have scoured the internet looking for a solution to this problem. Everywhere I go, everyone says that USB Debug must be enabled and that there is no other alternative. So, instead of just coming with the question, I have come to you with a POSSIBLE solution that I see but don't have the technical skill to attempt myself, without guidance.

Is there any way to force a PC to recognize the device, clone the partition, and mount it on a PC using an Android cloning software? If so, I could then enter my encryption pin and recover my data.

McDouble 1

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
UPDATE:
I found these instructions on another site. After entering fastboot I cannot view the device from ADB unless I go to Apply Update From ADB. When in this mode I cannot execute the Pull command.

Download insecure boot.img to your PC from https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=9390169635556426389
Reboot your phone into fastboot mode by powering it off and then pressing and holding volume-down and power buttons.
From your PC in the folder where boot.img is located type:
$ fastboot boot boot.img
To make an image of the mmcblk0p23 partition type:
$ adb shell 'stty raw && dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p23' > ~/userdata.img

Last edited:

McDouble 1

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
Since I could recognize the device while in Apply From ADB, I tried to execute a sideload of the boot.img file and received the following:

Finding update package
Opening update package
Verifying update package
E:footer is wrong
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted

This leads me to believe that this method of accessing the partition is indeed viable, I just don't know how to convert a cracked boot.img into an ADB available update that the phone would accept.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome as a new member. :)

Excuse me for subtracting my Like....I thought you were replying to the original poster. I guess you ARE the OP.
I'll pass this to certain clever persons whom I happen to know.

McDouble 1

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
Thank you. I am not the type to idly sit by and wait for an answer, I will be avidly trying to find a work around until someone helps me...... even though this is apparently a long lasting issue and no one has yet to find a solution.

McDouble 1

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
I've dug and found the following command, but again I run into the device only being recognized in the Apply Update from ADB mode. The command will result in an ERROR: CLOSED because the device wants a file and not a command.

adb shell recovery --set_filesystem_encryption=off

McDouble 1

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
I have thought about that. If I can't find a solution soon that is the route I'm going to take. Mostly, I've been looking into this because I have seen hundreds of other topics in forums about this very same thing and would love to be a part of the solution. It is one of those "see a problem, get focused and hellbent on finding a solution" type deals. Thanks for the advice.