Dead battery - can it cause the odin screen (downloading do not turn off target)

A

AC Question

I have a rather weird problem and I'm not sure if I should trust the guys I brought my phone into.

Basically it started when i came home. I plugged my phone into charger when it wa sat about 12% battery. When i came back 2 hours later it has the light blue screen Downloading do not turn off target. ( I never rooted my phone or anything)

I tried to restart etc using home, power and volume down. Then volume down to decline OS update and it would keep going back to the download mode.

I ttried ot connect it to my pc while in the mode but PC only recognized a usb device was plugged in.

Anyway I brought it to the shop. While going there i assumed the battery died. We plugged it in and the charging indicator didn't show it was charging (battery image just stayed still)....When they first looked at the phone they told me dead battery and I brought the phone back to the odin mode using home, power and volume down.

Anyway....long story short....They think its a battery and software problem but the battery thing sounds fishy to me.

A couple questions:

Will a S7 in Odin mode still show the actual charing animations after it has ran out of power?

Any other ideas?

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
OK.. First things first. If you completely power the phone off (not Odin mode) and then plug it in, it should show the "Charging" screen with the battery in the middle. If that shows that it's not charging, it means your battery has gotten too low and will need to be replaced.

*Just* having a low battery, though, should *not* have rebooted you into Odin Mode, so that is definitely weird. Once you get the device charged back up, I would recommend a factory reset, just in case there is some app in there doing strange things that may or may not be intentionally fishy.

And then, right after I typed that, I thought of a caveat: it's possible for an app to set a "flag" so that the device should reboot into Recovery. It *might* also be possible to set a flag to reboot into Download (Odin) Mode as well. If that flag happened to be set for some reason, then your battery died and the device powered off, then turned itself back on once the battery was charged up enough, that set of circumstances *could* have resulted in what you described. But that still doesn't explain why your device would have the Download (Odin) Mode flag set in the first place.

reggiethejazman

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Just replied to another post here regarding this issue.

Similar problem here although I did go so far as to back everything up, have a Samsung rep perform a factory reset, reinstall the latest OS (Marshmallow 6.0.1) only to have the problem reoccur within 2 hrs. (Do Not Turn Off Download Target message) along with a 'could not boot in normal mode' message displayed (in red) in the upper l/h corner of the screen.

I've had to use the reboot procedure (holding down power/volume down button) on my Note 4 at least a dozen times along with battery removal to restore the phone. I've noticed that the battery is running and charging hotter than I'm used to so I'm replacing the battery and charger with new OEM to eliminate them as an issue.

Even Samsung rep is baffled and has no recommendations for a fix at this time.