Google play store seems to be preventing my messaging app (standard SMS) from working.

A

AC Question

Google play store or google play services seems to be preventing my messaging app (standard SMS) from working. It seems to happen when an update has been detected for one of the installed apps. Also the update process stalls when the first app being updated reaches 100% download.

I tested this by trying to send an SMS which just sat there "SENDING". Then I forced the play services and play store apps to stop. The SMS started working again (able to send and receive). I'm wondering if the google play components are holding a resource that other apps need.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone?

Try going to Settings>Apps, select Google Play Store, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Do the same for Download Manager. Now try the app updates again--do they work now?

For the SMS issue, I'd try wiping the system cache partition, if you can. We need to know which phone you have to help you with the steps.

ferg frog

Sep 16, 2016
Visit site
I'm the original poster ... I registered to get more help.

So, my phone is a Moto X Play. I have wiped the cache partition but that didn't seem to fix the problem. Only when I force stopped the Google Play store apps did it allow the SMS to go.

I have some apps to update, so I'm going to try updating and see if that issue has gone away (and maybe find out if the SMS issue still occurs).

Thanks for your suggestions.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance