Why is my email app deleting the emails on my Comcast account server?

A

AC Question

I used to see a notification for email on my phone, and look at the email just to have an idea if I have to check on something later on. Then I would delete the email on my phone app. When I went home later and opened up my email on Comcast, the emails I deleted on the phone would still be there in my Comcast inbox. However about 2 weeks ago, with no change implemented by me, when I delete emails on my phone, they are then also gone from the Comcast inbox. I can find them in my trash folder, but I am wondering why all of a sudden the behavior changed.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Open the Email app, tap Menu>Settings, select the Comcast account, and look for an option to keep a copy of the email on the server. You might have to look in the server settings.

It sounds like you're using the POP3 server--POP3 is pretty outdated, and causes issues like this. I strongly recommend using the IMAP server instead: https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/. Read here for more information about IMAP vs POP3: IMAP vs POP3

David Taft1

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
I checked the email app settings, I found no option to keep a copy of the email on the server. Even when I went into the server settings part. I could see in the server settings that it is using the IMAP server as well. My device is a Galaxy S7 (Not the Note, not the Edge) I am running Android 6.0.1 My girlfriend has the exact same phone and problem and as I said the deletion on the server started happening out of the blue about 2 weeks ago and I do not recall seeing any update or anything prior to this happening either.

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
You should be using POP3 settings if you wish to retain messages. With IMAP if you delete an email from your phone, it gets deleted from the server. I have no idea why your settings changed but that's what you need to do to get things as you would like. Ensure to change settings on your server and devices. Here are the settings you need https://customer.xfinity.com/help-a...l-client-programs-with-xfinity-email?view=app

David Taft1

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
I tried to swap to the POP settings on the comcast instructions page but then it will not connect to the server at all. I guess I need to call in and confirm if their ports have been changed or something. Thanks anyways

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You should be using POP3 settings if you wish to retain messages. With IMAP if you delete an email from your phone, it gets deleted from the server.

This is true. I would also note, however, that POP3 physically downloads the entire emails to the phone, which can be an issue for people with relatively small amounts of storage. IMAP can be set to download only the email headers, while the main bodies of the emails remain on the server. The advantage of using IMAP is that if you want to save the email, you don't have to worry about deleting the email from the phone. Just archive it to a folder--the fact you can still see it on the phone doesn't mean that it's taking up any storage.