How can I increase space in device storage on Galaxy J5 for software update without losing apps?

A

AC Question

My Galaxy J5 is trying to do a software update 6.0.1 but needs an additional 509MB of available space in my device storage to download and install the update. The available space in my device memory is 1.38GB. I have moved all applications to the SD card, that I was able to move. I have no photo's, documents or music saved to the device memory. The only things that are on the device memory (as far as I can tell) are applications that do not give the option to move to the SD card = 3.22GB and "miscellaneous files" = 53.67 MB (but I do not know what these are, so reluctant to delete them).

If I delete applications that are on the device storage, in order to free up space for the software update, will I then be able to re install them after the update? Or will there then be no room?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Moving an app to the SD card normally doesn't free up any space - in fact it may use more. (Each part of the app is moved separately, but a link to each part is stored in internal storage.) Use App Backup & Restore to back up some apps, uninstall them, update, then reinstall them.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Probably, no guarantee - it depends on the size of the update. (You have to download the entire file, then run it, so it takes more space that the updated OS.) If it doesn't have enough space after the update, back up EVERYTHING (see Backing up an Android Device), flash the version you have now (using Odin - see [Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN ... BTW, about the only thing that usually goes wrong is that you die of boredom) and reinstall all your apps and data. It may take an hour (or even more if you have a lot), but there's no reason you can't do it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21