hi,
    i have a nexus 6p and i am confused about the operation of the google photos app.

i wish to store each months' photos in their original format in the cloud:
    (Google Photos: Upload size: Original)

then, after i have backed up these original photos from the cloud to a local hard drive I want to change their format to High Quality in the cloud using Free up device storage.

My understanding though is that by selecting Free up device storage that will do 2 things: compress my cloud photos to High Quality AND delete my photos from my phone.

Do I have to remove the photos from my phone? what if i want to keep the high quality photos on my phone just in case i don't have an internet connection and i want to look at them?

david.
    09-28-2016 11:33 PM
    In answering your question there are several things to point out. First is that the two storage options that Google Photos provides differ in space availability. Google limits the amount of cloud space for photos saved in their original quality, whereas unlimited space is provided for photos saved in Google's "high quality" mode.

As for deleting your photos from your phone, that's optional, not mandatory. Google only offers this option as a space saving strategy for your device.
    09-29-2016 12:29 AM
    Thank you for your response.
    I did understand about the 2 storage options and that's why I want to change the cloud based photos to High Quality once they are backed up locally.

I just tried selecting Free Up Device Storage and it warned me that it was going to delete 202 pictures from my phone. This is not what I want. I want to change my photos to High Quality and not delete them from my phone. If you could tell me how to do that it would be v.useful.
    thanks,
    david.
    09-29-2016 03:35 AM
    To put this another way; I want to upload in Original quality (from my phone) and then, some time later, convert it to High Quality without deleting the said photo from my phone.

That's probably the answer. It's not possible to do that. I am stuck with the original photos in the cloud taking my limited storage space.
    09-29-2016 04:19 AM
    Lesson Learn.. don't always trust a cloud service to storage your data or images. About the best thing you can expect from using any cloud service is for it to rain..
    belodion likes this.
    09-29-2016 04:34 AM