Deleting emails on phone and/or server

A

AC Question

Hi everyone, this is my first message in the forum and my first time using Android OS.

I'm switching to a Galaxy S7 from a Blackberry Q10 and I've been using Blackberry phones since I can remember...
I'm having doubts about the best way to set up my email accounts, since on the Blackberry you can choose if you want to delete each email on the phone only OR on the phone and server. I've grown used to this feature and it has become essential do my job.

Is there a way to do the same thing on the android? That is, choosing to delete an email only on the phone and keep it on the account, or delete from both?

Thank you very much in advance and congratulations on all the awesome work you do!

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Firs toff, welcome. Don't be afraid to register and converse, we don't bite.

That capability MAY be able to be replicated using a 3rd-party email app, but that is also a factor of what service you're working with for email delivery.

BrutalhonestyM

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Blackberry had definitely great email features, I also went from Blackberry to Android. However on an Android device, you can open the Email App>More>Settings> tap the desired email account >Server Settings>Incoming Server>Delete email from Server>choose never. That way if you delete it from your phone, it won't be deleted from the server.

Also you can choose IMAP instead of POP3. With IMAP, your mailbox does not get downloaded but you can still see it, and then if you delete an email, you won't lose it from the server.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I would strongly recommend using your email provider's IMAP server, as suggested by BrutalhonestyM. Then you don't have to worry about where emails are deleting or saving--you just use it like you would a webmail interface. If you want the email server to keep the email somewhere, then don't delete it. If you have no use for the email any more, then delete it.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
IMAP deletes emails on the phone (or on whatever device you're deleting them on). POP3 deletes it on the server, regardless of what device you're deleting it with.

So POP3 is designed to be used with only 1 device used to read email (usually), while IMAP is used to be able to read email from multiple devices at different times.