Samsung Galaxy J7 won't boot into bootloader.

A

AC Question

I had to root my brand new Galaxy J7 (SM-J710FN) to restore my previous data backed up with Titanium backup. I have my data back so i decided to do a nandroid backup as well with TWRP. However, the backup always failed stating this error "E: Failed to mount /data". I am not well versed with android and its commands and whatever little I know is only because of my consistent internet searches.
I decided to give up so I unrooted the phone and flashed the stock firmware. Now I want to check if the boot loader is locked. I am listing whatever problems I am facing right now.
1. Whenever I boot into recovery I always get “installing system updates” message and then I get to the recovery mode.
2. After selecting the option “Reboot to bootloader”. The phone gives an” E: Failed to mount /data (Invalid Argument)” error and restarts normally.
3. I have adb and fastboot installed on my pc. ADB works fine but fastboot commands draw a blank.
As of now I do not have any problems with the phone since its working as it should. Can some please explain the errors that I am getting in my phone?
Thank you!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
"E: Failed to mount /data (Invalid Argument)" sounds like the recovery ROM (the hardware in the phone) is bad - the phone can't mount the partition, usually because it's not there. You could try reflashing the ROM (see [Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN - it's more boring than difficult), but that may also throw a hardware error. (That would mean a new motherboard.)

harshree

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
"E: Failed to mount /data (Invalid Argument)" sounds like the recovery ROM (the hardware in the phone) is bad - the phone can't mount the partition, usually because it's not there. You could try reflashing the ROM (see [Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN - it's more boring than difficult), but that may also throw a hardware error. (That would mean a new motherboard.)

Thank you for the reply. Your guess was right. I still get the "E: Failed to mount /data (Invalid Argument)" after flashing the stock ROM again. My phone is already warranty void (rooting and all) so a new motherboard would be trouble. I guess i do not want to mess up further. I have no issues using the phone normally. I would be relieved if you would confirm that this error won't bother with the normal functions of the phone. Thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power