Why can't I software update my brand new Galaxy S6?

A

AC Question

I purchased very recently a brand new Samsung Galaxy S6 and I can't do software update.

When I go to Settings > About device > And click "Download updates manually"
It says "Registering device..." and then it either says "Processing failed." or "Registration failed." as shown in the following images:
i.imgur.com/T4UGJli.png
i.imgur.com/wjj4jUm.png
i.imgur.com/duha6tp.png

My question is: What is this registration it is failing to do, and why can't I software update? Also, the phone I have is supposed to have Android 5 but I received it with Android 6 (I did not do any updates). Why is it already updated to Android 6? Is this related to the software update not working?

It is Samsung Galaxy S6 SM-G920I.

pistachio123

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
I did, and they said if there are new updates I'll be notified.

I already have a recent android version 6.0.1 and there's probably no update yet, and other than that the phone is perfectly fine so they don't even think there's an issue.

The errors don't seem normal, but I don't want to return it, is there a do-it-yourself guide I can follow to try and solve it myself without voiding the warranty?

I've attached the images showing the problem again.

Attachments

• Registering_Device.jpg
    Registering_Device.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 4
  • Processing_Failed.jpg
    Processing_Failed.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Registration _Failed.jpg
    Registration _Failed.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 4

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I think the issue is you have the CSC for an S6 Edge. Someone has meddled with that device which is why it wont register.
The current software is Saudi Arabia. What region are you in?

pistachio123

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
Israel. Why would it be meddled to have CSC of S6 edge? Refurbishment Check seems to indicate the phone is original but "The Knox Warranty Void status has been tripped", is this related? How do I proceed from here?

pistachio123

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi Pugs, thanks for your assistance, I ended up replacing the phone.

I went back to the shop and got an SM-G920F (before it was SM-G920I).
When performing manual update, it attempted to register the device (as before), but this time it succeeded and now I can check for updates.

For anyone who's about to buy a phone or has the same problem: it seems like the last character signifies the intended region/carrier of the device.

Here is a list (may not be accurate) I found on the web:
SM-G9200 (Hong Kong)
SM-G9208 (China)
SM-G9208/SS (China)
SM-G9209 (China)
SM-G920A (AT&T)
SM-G920F (Global)
SM-G920FD (Pakistan, Philippines)
SM-G920I (LATAM, Singapore, India, Australia)
SM-G920S (Korea)
SM-G920T (T-Mobile)​

CDMA Galaxy S6:
SM-G920P (Sprint)
SM-G920V (Verizon)
SM-G920R (U.S. Cellular)
SM-G920W8 (Canada)​

According to the list, "I" is "LATAM, Singapore, India, Australia", so that model is region-locked to those countries so that's probably why the updating did not work.

"F" is global and if available is probably the safest choice to ensure proper update support.

Quoted from some site:
The G920I is region-locked to North & South America, but is still carrier-unlocked and may be used with any GSM carrier within North or South America that uses a frequency or band that this device supports. It may not work outside of North & South America. The G920F is a fully unlocked International version, not originally intended for sale in the US. It will work anywhere, with any carrier that uses a frequency or band that the phone supports.​

So seems like "F" is the international version. The Galaxy S6 "I" version had cheaper warranty but I guess the other catch was it was region-locked and did not have OTA updates. I returned it, added some money and got the more expensive warranty which is for an "F" version cellphone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21