Hide apps completely

A

AC Question

I want to hide a few apps completely from my phone so that I wouldn't even know they're there. I guess sort of like those spy apps. I don't want them to show up even on the installed applications list, I don't want them just in a drawer or whatever. I tried renaming the apps and changing their icons, but that just voids their signatures. Can anyone please help me? It's quite urgent.
Thanks!

Laura Crusader

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
If its you're friends child, i suggest to stay out of it for respect & have the parents handle that on their own. I know you're trying to help, i get it. But still. You know? Just a thought.

Now, if shes not supposed to be touching the phone; & It doesn't even have to be that certain problem... it can be used for your personal use as well. i can maybe help with that area & suggest "photo trap" app (From "Escape the wolf") its $1.99 at the play store (available for Apple & Android)- that my Brother Clint created (see video here) It tells you if anything moved in a certain room by comparison of photos. A buddy of mines was in a new relationship & he downloaded the app. He ended up breaking it off with the girl bc she tampered with his personal belongings while he was taking a shower.
https://youtu.be/hFjYH7RxFcY

ReiSixx9

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Counter question...the trouble she got into, would it have been avoided if she didn't have a smartphone?

Not really, seeing as there's the computer as well and she can go out and do these things. Her mom just wants to keep an eye on her to make sure she's safe, but she doesn't want to deprive her of having a phone like the of her friends. Plus she uses phone a lot for school so it'd be a bit difficult for her without it.

ReiSixx9

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
If its you're friends child, i suggest to stay out of it for respect & have the parents handle that on their own. I know you're trying to help, i get it. But still. You know? Just a thought.

Now, if shes not supposed to be touching the phone; & It doesn't even have to be that certain problem... it can be used for your personal use as well. i can maybe help with that area & suggest "photo trap" app (From "Escape the wolf") its $1.99 at the play store (available for Apple & Android)- that my Brother Clint created (see video here) It tells you if anything moved in a certain room by comparison of photos. A buddy of mines was in a new relationship & he downloaded the app. He ended up breaking it off with the girl bc she tampered with his personal belongings while he was taking a shower.
https://youtu.be/hFjYH7RxFcY

As I said to Golfdriver97, Her mom just wants to keep an eye on her to make sure she's safe, but she doesn't want to deprive her of having a phone like the of her friends. Plus she uses phone a lot for school so it'd be a bit difficult for her without it.
Also, my friend wants my help because she doesn't know much about this kind of stuff and she thought I could help.
And thanks for the app suggestion, but she REALLY wants to just monitor her daughter's phone.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Not really, seeing as there's the computer as well and she can go out and do these things. Her mom just wants to keep an eye on her to make sure she's safe, but she doesn't want to deprive her of having a phone like the of her friends. Plus she uses phone a lot for school so it'd be a bit difficult for her without it.

I honestly not sure what to suggest. if she needs a monitoring app, perhaps there is one in Play? If she needs to restrict the device, there are apps like app lock that can restrict a user from adding or removing apps.

ReiSixx9

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
I honestly not sure what to suggest. if she needs a monitoring app, perhaps there is one in Play? If she needs to restrict the device, there are apps like app lock that can restrict a user from adding or removing apps.

She's basically looking for something really strict and inclusive that monitors her daughter. I at first suggested something that would catch a cheater, but I couldn't find anything. She wants something that monitors all messaging apps and social media and pictures, etc. I can make a list of all the features she wants if that helps?

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I think your friend is asking the impossible. If she's not worried about the PC yet is worried about the mobile it makes no sense. If you turn the mobile into a device that reports back to mother every time she farts she will use an alternative. As others have stated, it is probably best you do not get involved. If something happens because you did not suggest a solution, it will fall back on you.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
She's basically looking for something really strict and inclusive that monitors her daughter. I at first suggested something that would catch a cheater, but I couldn't find anything. She wants something that monitors all messaging apps and social media and pictures, etc. I can make a list of all the features she wants if that helps?
The list can help.

Here is the downside: there are a lot of mechanics to this situation. For every action we can suggest, there is a counter action that can be found. To a degree, this is kind of like the cat and mouse game that anti virus companies play. Someone finds a loophole, and the process starts all over.

Let's look at the hiding of the apps. Rebooting the device into Safe Mode can bypass this, among other ways to uninstall apps, either temporarily or permanently. A reset can undo everything that is done.

If this is as drastic as this sounds, I would suggest replacing the smartphone with a basic phone, and arrange with the carrier to disable SMS/MMS messages from them. Meaning, there is no way to allow text messages to be sent or received (reasonably sure this can be done). Once the smartphone is confiscated, change the PIN/Password.

ReiSixx9

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, you guys are probably right. I think this is nearly impossible if not impossible.

And Golfdriver97, I was just thinking to hide the apps in plain sight, not make them unable to uninstalled. Just kind of blend them in as system apps or something.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, you guys are probably right. I think this is nearly impossible if not impossible.

And Golfdriver97, I was just thinking to hide the apps in plain sight, not make them unable to uninstalled. Just kind of blend them in as system apps or something.

Sorry we couldn't really come up with an easy solution. Something to keep in mind is when people get determined, they can get creative. That was what sparked my reply to what we can come up with can be countered. It's also why I suggested a stone age phone that was crippled. It's hard to bypass something like that.

Cooler299

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I want to hide a few apps completely from my phone so that I wouldn't even know they're there. I guess sort of like those spy apps. I don't want them to show up even on the installed applications list, I don't want them just in a drawer or whatever. I tried renaming the apps and changing their icons, but that just voids their signatures. Can anyone please help me? It's quite urgent.
Thanks!
My solution to this is 2 Steps. First install a 3rd party Launcher like Nova Launcher with which you can hide the Apps from the App Drawer. Even after hiding them, If you want to launch a hidden app just Swipe down in the app drawer and search the App. 2nd Step is to Install a App Locker and set it up with a password and protect only those Apps which you don't want to be accessed by the child. So even if one does Swipe down from the App drawer to search for a App the child won't be able to open it. Try this : https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=com.domobile.applock&token=vZfsikSZ
Also about stopping from uninstalling, once you lock a App using App Lock you can't uninstalling it. Also for a 3rd layer of security you can Place A app on the home screen say Facebook and set it up so that a single click will open up Facebook but if you Swipe up on the same icon it will launch the hidden app you set. This feature might be only in Nova Launcher Prime. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

ReiSixx9

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
My solution to this is 2 Steps. First install a 3rd party Launcher like Nova Launcher with which you can hide the Apps from the App Drawer. Even after hiding them, If you want to launch a hidden app just Swipe down in the app drawer and search the App. 2nd Step is to Install a App Locker and set it up with a password and protect only those Apps which you don't want to be accessed by the child. So even if one does Swipe down from the App drawer to search for a App the child won't be able to open it. Try this : https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=com.domobile.applock&token=1IHVtN5k

Hmm that might just work. It's not exactly what she wanted, but I'll run it past my friend.

CentroGeek

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
Just saying all these app locks on the play store can be circumvented in a minute either by force stopping it or via safe mode.

ReiSixx9

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
There are some, I think...but the same thing can still apply to App locking apps. If they can find out how to reboot in Safe Mode, or disable the app, you are still back at square one.

Hmm yeah... It just seems like one big cycle back to the beginning.
Aren't there some apps for catching cheaters that have "system" names and house in plain sight like I wanted to do?

Laura Crusader

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, I just don't think it's what she's looking for anyways even if it did work so...
Sounds like midlife crisis.

Just stay out of it honey as i stated @ 27. Its not you're responsibility, regardless if she wants you're help about her child. I would take Golf's advice @ 27 & mention a basic phone to you're friend if she's really that worried. I have a 17 yr old & as long as shes under my roof until she goes in the Military, a basic phone was what she got. "Its not fair" Well guess what "life isn't fair" etc. Turn off SMS/MMS & if she still complains about her child not having the same thing as her friends, i don't know what else to say. Be straight up with her that you tried but its impossible to get what she wants. 3rd party apps & lock apps together. Safe mode "may" be the only way. It's close enough when you stop & think about it. Setting up a sting, will only cause the child to do more damage & act otherwise.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX