Hello! I've got a pretty crazy complex problem. A little while ago, my phone stopped receiving phonecalls, making sounds, or giving any notifications. Texts still work fine, but I don't get notified as they come in. The home butteon and the drag-down notification menu don't work either. I thought I'd back up everything and then do a factory reset. But when I plugged into a USB port, the phone wasn't recognised! I managed to back up all my files and photos over wifi to my Google account, though, and finally got ready to do a factory reset.

But here's the real issue--when I go to the settings menu to do it, the button is grayed out. And my home button is disabled so I can't go into recovery mode to reset it from there (I believe the key shortcut for recovery on a motorola is power + home).

I can't help but think this is some kind of weird virus. Sometimes I get popup notifications on my phone, but that's only happened about twice in the last month since it first started showing problems. I ran an Avast! scan that didn't pick anything up, though.

Does anyone have any advice? I'd really like to wipe my phone and get it working again asap.

Thanks for your help!
    10-15-2016 01:18 PM
    The home button being disabled should only be in effect once into the OS, it should still work during boot.

Wait, that phone doesn't HAVE a physical home button to be disabled.

Before you start, be 100% sure you know your Google account name and password (and have not reset the password in the last 24-72 hours).
    See this help topic on Motorola's web site for info on doing a factory reset outside the OS: https://motorola-global-portal.custh...p/30,6720,9151

Do you have some kind of device management installed on the phone (by an employer typically)? It's possible that has disabled the factory reset and you may consider reaching out to corporate support to be sure you're following the correct steps so you'll be able to get re-registered when you're all done.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-15-2016 03:10 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Good advice from hallux. To expand on the device management issue, go to Settings>Security>Device Administrators, and see if there's anything besides Android Device Manager that is listed and checked on.

You should also be able to do a factory reset from the Recovery Menu (listed as "External Reset" here): https://motorola-global-portal.custh...p/30,6720,9151
    10-15-2016 03:33 PM