Unable to send/recieve MMS on Wifi

A

AC Question

I recently switched from a Galaxy S4 to a LG K10. My husband switched from a LG L90 to the K10 as well. The area we live in doesn't have coverage by our cell provider (we aren't looking to switch- long story). We use WiFi indoors, and have never had any issues. My S4 and his L90 could send and receive MMS (including group messages) all day long. Never had a single issue with utilizing any services over WiFi.
Since switching phones, however, we have yet to successfully send or receive a MMS on WiFi. I get an error that pops up, saying mobile data must be turned on. Mobile data is turned on (I can't use it- as no service), but that's never been an issue in the past. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this? Google has told me that there must be a mobile data connection to send/receive MMS, which hasn't been my experience. In the past, with our prior phones, a WiFi connection was sufficient.
Thanks

diochick

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
I used numerous different texting apps on my prior phone (GoSMS, Chomp, Handcent are the ones that stick out), but by the time I was ready to switch to the new phone, I was using the stock app. My husband isn't big on personalization- so on his prior LG phone, he used the stock app. Since switching to the K10, I have used the stock app and Textra. My husband has only tried using the stock app (which worked for sending MMS over WiFi on his prior LG).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Normally, the way MMS works is that the file is stored on your carrier's server and a text (SMS) is sent to the recipient, with a link to the file. If you don't get cellular coverage, you don't get SMS, so you can't get MMS. Talk to your provider about why Wifi no longer works. (It normally shouldn't.)

As for not wanting to switch - the first choice you make in getting a cellphone is which carrier gives you signal where you need signal. Choosing by which phone a carrier sells, or which one you get a company discount from, is just so wrong. (And I'm speaking with my "dealer's hat" on. I used to refuse to sell particular carriers to people living in areas where that carrier had no coverage - and explained that they wouldn't be happy when they discovered that their homes had no coverage. A few customers wanted what they wanted, and wouldn't listen to me - until they came back in a few days to cancel.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma