Adaptive Brightness

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm still so confused on how to use this and if it's even better on battery or not. Any tips on how to set this right?

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
What's the confusion? All you have to do is check the auto-brightness option and the phone takes over. If there is any adjustments to be made for auto brightness, you'll find it in the Display settings. Some phones (might be OS dependent... can't remember anymore) have options to set the levels for how much brightness is used when the phone get's triggered and changes brightness. Look in Display options.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
This phone doesn't have auto brightness. This is the second phone I've owned that has the new Adaptive brightness. And I still don't know the best setting to put it at and if it's good on battery or not to check it.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
What kind of phone do you have? This is the reason I've asked this forum to make it mandatory for people to list their phone, but they don't think it's necessary even though there are so many phones out there that don't run the same way. People like me have to give a generic reply just to try to help someone.

Doesn't the adaptive brightness work the same as auto brightness in where the phone detects the ambient light and then adjusts accordingly?

Some phones used to have a sort of "fine control" where the user could set the auto-brightness level to a specified level so the phone would only go so low. Not all phones had this feature, but some Samsung's did. As I stated, I can't remember anymore.

As far as battery savings or usage, I wouldn't think it would matter much "overall". I run my Note 4 with auto-brightness checked and have no battery problems I could even relate to it. If you're worried about it, you could experiment with adaptive brightness checked for a week, and then with it unchecked for a week, and see if it makes any appreciable difference in your battery life.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate it. Yeah its weird because you check it but then like you still set the brightness but I didn't know if it just doesn't pass the mark you set it or what. I have a moto z play. Thank you dude for the reply.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I've watched several videos on adaptive brightness, read the Moto Z manual, and visited the Moto site, and it seems the phone works differently than Samsungs. On Samsungs if you have auto-brightness selected, as soon as you manually adjust the brightness level, the auto-brightness setting gets disabled. Samsung's have their own auto-brightness levels pre-set and the brightness the user selects manually doesn't affect those pre-sets (except on older phones/OS where there was fine control). So once you're done manually messing around with brightness, and switch it back to auto, the pre-sets take over.

It seems the Moto Z adaptive brightness setting does not get automatically disabled when you manually set brightness and it also doesn't seem to have pre-set values for the adaptive brightness (from what I've seen). So the adaptive might be "remembering" the last brightness level you manually set as the low level. This is from the Motorola (Lenovo) site...

https://motorola-global-portal.cust...a_id/112148/~/display-settings---moto-z-force

Important Note: When Adaptive brightness is enabled, if you then lower the brightness level to the minimum, the screen may appear to go completely black.

To recover, try one or more of the following:

Push power button
Move your device to a well-lit area. It can take up to few minutes before screen becomes bright.
Let phone stay idle for few minutes, so it goes to sleep state. Then, press power button momentarily to bring phone to active state from sleep state. On the screen, drag one finger from top to bottom twice slowly. This will open quick settings from the notification bar. Approximately one inch below from the top of the screen and one inch from left, touch and drag finger from left to right in straight line to increase the brightness.

After screen is bright enough to be used, it is recommended that you do not set the brightness setting to minimum setting if adaptive brightness is enabled.

If I'm interpreting things correctly, then in a way, your phone sort of has a "fine control" for the low level setting. Once you manually set the brightness level (with adaptive enabled), the adaptive brightness will use that level and then adjust brightness from there according to ambient light conditions. Hence, the adaptive brightness may not seem to be working right because you'd expect the brightness to lower even more if you were under low light conditions... but it can't because it's set to the low level you adjusted to manually.

I might be way off in all of this, so disregard if everything above is just wrong! LOL!

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I've watched several videos on adaptive brightness, read the Moto Z manual, and visited the Moto site, and it seems the phone works differently than Samsungs. On Samsungs if you have auto-brightness selected, as soon as you manually adjust the brightness level, the auto-brightness setting gets disabled. Samsung's have their own auto-brightness levels pre-set and the brightness the user selects manually doesn't affect those pre-sets (except on older phones/OS where there was fine control). So once you're done manually messing around with brightness, and switch it back to auto, the pre-sets take over.

It seems the Moto Z adaptive brightness setting does not get automatically disabled when you manually set brightness and it also doesn't seem to have pre-set values for the adaptive brightness (from what I've seen). So the adaptive might be "remembering" the last brightness level you manually set as the low level. This is from the Motorola (Lenovo) site...

https://motorola-global-portal.cust...a_id/112148/~/display-settings---moto-z-force

If I'm interpreting things correctly, then in a way, your phone sort of has a "fine control" for the low level setting. Once you manually set the brightness level (with adaptive enabled), the adaptive brightness will use that level and then adjust brightness from there according to ambient light conditions. Hence, the adaptive brightness may not seem to be working right because you'd expect the brightness to lower even more if you were under low light conditions... but it can't because it's set to the low level you adjusted to manually.

I might be way off in all of this, so disregard if everything above is just wrong! LOL!
Haha makes sense. I will play around with it more and see which seems better for me. I appreciate your help and research.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
This seems to be dependent on the software involved.

On my LG G4, in both Android 5.1 and 6.0, auto-brightness picks a level for the brightness in the given environment. If I manually select a different brightness, the phone will remember by preference relative to its scale.

For example, I go from a reasonably lighted room (34% brightness) into very dark room, auto-bright picks 4% brightness. I select 20% brightness. I go back into the lighted room, the phone brings the brightness up to 45% instead of the original 34%.

I can reset the phone back to the original brightness scale by toggling the auto-brightness off/on.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
From what I'm seeing is whatever level I put the Adaptive brightness too, it moves up and down depending on the environment. But never goes past the mark that I set it too originally.