Very brief background... always used Android. Never cared for iOS. Lacked versatility and was a bit too restrictive. This was years ago, though.

Recently had a baby, and the simplicity of iMessage (for better looking videos via text) and Facetime, I am *considering* making a jump to make things easier w/ the wife and friends since most have iPhones.

I am hoping I can ask those who are familiar with iOS (and Android) a few questions. It has been a long time since I used an iPhone.

1. Are widgets supported, yet? The main one I need is a google search bar on the home screen.

2. In Android, pulling down the notification bar shows a mini menu of settings, and pulling down again, expands settings. Is it the same in iOS?

** Can you, for instance, hold down the WiFi setting button, and will iOS bring up a list of WiFi networks and settings?

3. Is there a quick-launch for the camera? On my Galaxy, double tap power button launches the cam. Allows easy one-hand use.

4. Without unlocking the phone, does iOS allow you to view notifications? Can you expand the notification list in the same way, without unlocking?

Thanks, all!

-Andrew
    10-26-2016 10:15 AM
    Very brief background... always used Android. Never cared for iOS. Lacked versatility and was a bit too restrictive. This was years ago, though.

Recently had a baby, and the simplicity of iMessage (for better looking videos via text) and Facetime, I am *considering* making a jump to make things easier w/ the wife and friends since most have iPhones.

I am hoping I can ask those who are familiar with iOS (and Android) a few questions. It has been a long time since I used an iPhone.

1. Are widgets supported, yet? The main one I need is a google search bar on the home screen.

2. In Android, pulling down the notification bar shows a mini menu of settings, and pulling down again, expands settings. Is it the same in iOS?

** Can you, for instance, hold down the WiFi setting button, and will iOS bring up a list of WiFi networks and settings?

3. Is there a quick-launch for the camera? On my Galaxy, double tap power button launches the cam. Allows easy one-hand use.

4. Without unlocking the phone, does iOS allow you to view notifications? Can you expand the notification list in the same way, without unlocking?

Thanks, all!

-Andrew
    1. Yes (but they're not on the home screen and I don't really think that there's Google Search bar widget for iOS)
    2. Not the same (Swipe down for notifications, swipe up for Control Center (It's like Quick Settings on Android but with more limited functionality (For example, you can't hold down the Wi-Fi icon to view all of the available Wi-Fi networks)
    3. No (Except there's a camera shortcut in Control Center and lockscreen)
    4. Yes and yes
    10-26-2016 10:32 AM