Galaxy S5 (SM-G900V) new digitizer or just new screen?

A

AC Question

Hello I have a Galaxy S5 on Verizon, and I wanted to know if I needed to get a new digitizer if the screen is cracked but the phone still powers on with a black screen. I can use the OK Google command (sometimes) and the LED buttons at the bottom still light up white, the phone charges fine and it still vibrates when powering it on, what do you guys think of this?

Josiah23

Q&A Team
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
I had the EXACT problem back in December/January with the same phone. I didn't even attempt to do anything about it, except get a new phone. LCD screens are pretty cheap, but the digitizers can get costly... well at least a quality stock digitizer can. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I have comes around. I would say, if there is no display at all then it is the digitizer that needs to be changed.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If the screen is black, you need a new screen. If only the digitizer is broken, you'd see the picture on the screen - which is beneath the digitizer layer (which is the "glass" on the screen).

Android Dilemma

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
If the screen is black, you need a new screen. If only the digitizer is broken, you'd see the picture on the screen - which is beneath the digitizer layer (which is the "glass" on the screen).
Yeah, the screen is cracked, nothing displays, but LED soft keys and the OK Google voice command still works, so does this mean I will only need a new screen?

Last edited: