adoptable storage sd card failure

A

AC Question

This is the answer for my previous question posted with the same title. I can't see how to answer it, so I am posting this answer as a question.

Original post:
My Moto G3 with Marshmallow ran fine with a 16GB SD card, until the SD Card failed. The SD card (SanDisk) had been working fine as adaptable storage and one day, failed instantly. I put in a new SD Card, and formatted it for adoptable storage. Now, I have many Apps (like Google Earth) which say 'An SD Card is required to run this application', and they bail. I cannot take pictures, 'Your internal storage is running out of space...'. I have 4GB out of 16GB of internal storage available, and an extra 32GB in my adoptable storage. Screen snap: 'Can't take screenshot due to limited storage. WhatsApp when I try to download a picture from message: 'Can't download because no internal storage is available'. Etc, etc.

Tried uninstalling offending apps and re-installing them from the play store. Same. Looked hard, hard, on Internet for a solution, there doesn't seem to be anyone having this problem. Any ideas? Am I the only one :(

Answer:
Simple answer, so much pain finding it. Go to Settings>Storage. Click the greyed out internal memory SD card that was the previous storage card which died. you will see the option to "Forget" the old SD card. Click it and you're good to go. In other words, you have to forget the previous adoptable storage SD card after it is removed. :)

bentley1530

Nov 11, 2016
Visit site
I have been struggling with this "Your internal storage is running out of space..." message for weeks and have searched and searched for a solution so thank you so much! My Moto g 2 was stolen and when I replaced it with Moto g 3 it has had 2 SD card failures in a short period of time so I did not add a third SD card and I never thought to "forget" the old one.