Lollipop 5.1 all apps + UI failed, broken by "optimising apps"

A

AC Question

Obviously there's a bunch of threads about how to stop phones from doing the "optimising apps" malarkey because people find it annoying.

I'd like to try and force it to happen.

A few days ago, I let my battery drain to empty and put it onto charge, which is how I normally charge my phone (a 1st generation Motorola Moto G).
It did the "optimising apps" thing, which is quite normal, but it took unusually long to do so. Possibly 20 minutes or more (normally 10 mins or less).

After turning it on, after about 10 minutes, it stops working. The touchscreen seems to be dead and the phone is not responding to any taps, swipes or other commands except the power button.
The touchscreen ISN'T dead though, because the one-screen prompt to shut down from the power button still works.

Some time later, presumably after turning off and on a few times, it starts trying to "optimise apps" again. The first time, it was optimising 75 apps, which is about right. This time, it was optimising 1 of 1 apps.

Every time I turn it on, it will operate for approximately 12 minutes, then stop responding. Some open apps will occasionally flash prompts for "X has stopped working, close?" to which the screen will respond. Still responds to "power down?" screen button.
It will sometimes receive messages in this time while it is operational - text messages, some social media notifications etc. Facebook outright refuses to boot, and text messages claim they haven't sent even when the recipient has sent a reply, which will repeatedly arrive for me. Outright unusable.

I have only managed to get the phone to "optimise apps" once, and it did "1 of 1" again. I used the Android Recovery mode to clear system cache and reboot, which allowed the phone to work for longer than usual before failing again and being back to square one.

I do not want to wipe the phone with a factory reset; what has clearly (to me) occurred, it that has failed in this "optimising" step and somehow broken all the apps including the UI. It would be interesting to know if this is an issue that has ever presented before.

Willing to answer any further questions.
Many thanks.

James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49