3.5mm headphone output quality

A

AC Question

Hello,
I would like to use android smarphones and tablets in a project, where I need to output music from 3.5mm headphone jack to headphones without any equalization or improvements. I mean I would like to playback the music as it is without any bass amplification or equalizer. I could create a special player application for this if necessary. The reason is that we need to replace CD players for this and need to keep the same quality. Of course we will use also professional studio headphones.

Does anyone know if the hardware used in android phones and tablets is CD quality? Is there a possibility to write an app that will be able to playback pure music without any "improvements"?

I know there are millions of brands and models but I'm interest in the most used brands and models (like Samsung, Sony, LG, Huawei, HTC, Motorola, Google,...).

Thank you in advance!

tsstx265

Nov 8, 2016
Visit site
Hi, were you able to find any info on the above?

Hi, not really. For now everybody says that the output is OK and only the player and music file format determines the final output. I am not asking about the files or some generic players. If so, I will create my own player and use lossless files for playback. But I have heard that some manufacturers are improving the output of the phones to be "better" (like the photos - green is greener, and so on). I also heard that there are some audio chips (or DAC) already with some hardware equalizers in them that can't be turned off by software application. I also tried to contact some manufacturers but for now I have no info.

tsstx265

Nov 8, 2016
Visit site
It is the media which determines the quality. Lossless files play great. MP3 is only as good as the bit-rate. Stock players will play "flat" unless you decide otherwise

I know, but I am not speaking about media. For example I would like to take 5-6 smartphones, install the same player, playback the same files and use the same professional headphones. Will be the output the same? Identical? Or will they be some differences? If yes, how big?

For example with headphones - if you will use Dr. Beats and some professional studio headphones (for example beyerdynamic dt 770 pro) what you will hear will be completely different music/sound (because Dr. Beats sound much more "juicy"). I would like to avoid this on the smartphone side.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Each headphone (and each player) is different - you can't cross-compare them like that. But if you get 5 Dr. Beats headphones from the same production lot, plug them into 5 phones from the same production lot, each running the same version of Android and the same version of a media player, and playing the same file ... you'll get pretty much the same sound from each of them.

Change anything - headphones, phone, version of Android, version of the player, source file - and you can (but won't necessarily) get a different sound. Sound "coloration" isn't a spec on any of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22