RE: Preinstalled Messaging App. How can I turn the darn thing off?

A

AC Question

RE: Preinstalled Messaging App. How can I turn the darn thing off?

I don't want to use the pre-installed "Messaging App." In fact, I have chosen another "default messaging app," yet every time I "wake-up" my phone the pre-installed "Messaging App" appears, asking me to choose it as the default messaging app.

It's extremely annoying.

Any solutions?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Preinstalled Messaging App. How can I turn the darn thing off?

Welcome to the forums. What device do you have and what android version is it running? Have you already tried in settings - apps - cog icon top right - default apps - SMS?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for registering! It's possible that some default got stuck on the stock messaging app. I've never used the Galaxy S3, but being on KitKat the steps should be similar to these. Go to settings - device - apps - all - select the stock messaging app and clear defaults. After doing this make sure in the general settings that your third party messaging app is selected as default for Messages. Restart the phone and see if the problem still persists. Tell us how it goes.

kimbro1958

Nov 15, 2016
Visit site

I went to Settings, then chose "More" where access to the Application Manager and Default Applications is... The "Messaging App" is not my chosen default application, verified that... Went into the Application Manager, confirmed "Messaging" is "turned off", cleared the data and the cache, even selected "Force Stop."

After all that---and repeating the same several times---turning the phone completely off, waiting a while and then turning back on----this stupid "Messaging App" continues to reappear when the phone is turned back on.

I'm at a loss...