I have a Samsung S5. Movies on my memory card uses a different app by default than if I play the same file from my internal memory? This just started on its own. I would like to use VLC for all my movie files and it is set as default player.......but again, when I play the movie file on my memory card, it uses a different player (and doesn't play right). When I move the same file to the internal memory then VLC plays the file by default and works fine. Any suggestions? Thanks guys.
    11-17-2016 09:12 PM
    Go into Settings > Applications > Default Applications and remove the default player that's being used to play the videos on the SD card. Your phone should then prompt you to choose a default player when you attempt to play a video on the SD card, and then you can set VLC as the default.
    Go into Settings > Applications > Default Applications and remove the default player that's being used to play the videos on the SD card. Your phone should then prompt you to choose a default player when you attempt to play a video on the SD card, and then you can set VLC as the default.
    pkcable likes this.
    11-18-2016 02:17 AM
    Thanks for the reply but the default is already set to VLC. The movie player that starts when playing files from the memory card is not set as a default. Any other ideas?
    11-18-2016 04:54 PM
    Clear the defaults for any media player, including VLC, and see if the phone asks you again to select the default when you attempt to play a video on the SD.
    pkcable likes this.
    11-18-2016 08:56 PM
    That's the thing. The App that opens the .mp4 file is "Video Player". I guess it came on the phone. It's not set as a default. I've cleared the VLC default and still the files on the card always use this "Video Player" app. But again....when I move the same .mp4 file to my phones memory then VLC opens and plays the file fine. The only reason I am trying to stop this is because this "Video" app doesn't play the audio on my .mp4 file. Thanks for your help.
    11-19-2016 04:39 PM
    I own a Note 4 which is the brother to your S5. I tested to see if I could duplicate what you're seeing and I can't. If I clear the video player in default applications, my phone will ask me what app I want to use to play videos. It doesn't matter where the videos are located, phone memory, or SD card, the player I select (in my case stock Video player or MXPlayer), will play all files in both locations. This happens on both Note 4's I own... one on Kitkat, and the other on Lollipop. I assume your S5 is on Marshmallow?

When you clear VLC from default applications, does your phone ask you what player to use for the SD videos as well as those on phone memory? You might try clearing the cache/data on the Video Player app in Application Manager. Also, try doing the same for VLC... and once you do that, uninstall VLC and reinstall it.

Your phone should ask what player to use if there is more than one media player on the phone.

I don't use VLC as I like MXPlayer much better. I wonder if this is a VLC problem. You might give MXPlayer a try to see if you run into the same problem.

EDIT... found this thread... VLC for Android, How to play videos on external SD card?
    Perhaps the problem still exists where VLC doesn't scan the SD card as it should.
    pkcable likes this.
    11-19-2016 09:00 PM
    Thanks for your help. I've just given up....
    12-29-2016 03:02 PM