Why does Device Manger detect my phone only through WiFi?

A

AC Question

My phone is a Motorola Droid Razr bought through Verizon. If the phone is connected to a WiFi network, Device Manger correctly shows the phone's location. However, if I turn off WiFi or get out of range of a WiFi network, causing the phone to use 3G or 4G, Device Manager is unable to locate the device. And yes, the phone is successfully using 3G/4G because email is accessible.

I uninstalled and then installed D/M, and nothing changed.

Bob7430

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
As I have previously stated, one of the Droids (a slightly older version) can be located using mobile data, but the newer Droid can be found only when Wi-Fi is available. Poking around online, I see no reason to believe that D/M works only with Wi-Fi. If that were the case, D/M's usefulness would be severely limited.

Bob7430

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Good questions.

I get the same behavior no matter where the phone is. Yes, the cell signal is strong and location is set to High Accuracy. The phone is about a year old, but I didn't start playing with D/M until recently.

My older Droid (2012) works as it should. So it seems likely that the newer Droid needs to have some setting changed.

When I was testing the older phone, I took it to our garage where there is no cell signal but a weak 3G signal is present. With Wi-Fi turned off, I was still able to locate it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty