Wifie is complaining that I'm using up bandwidth.
    First question: is that possible?
    Second question: is there a way to quantify the load (?) on a local basis?
    An app?? Or a math formula? I'm doubting there is but I just don't know.
    To explain - came into the house from a shopping trip. I had my laptop on a wire connection doing a windows update download. It was done so I reset and the laptop reported that it was updating windows, the usual .... Don't turn off your computer ... message.
    Wifie was half way across the house on her Apple, probably on wireless (can't be bothered to plug in another cable😕), uploading pictures to a Website. She came out saying I was interupting her session with my (complete by then) update. I did a total shut down and even unhooked the net cable.
    Don't want to fight any wars here just think she was nutz, how could my session on wire effect her's wire or wireless.
    Another point. My understanding is that Apple uses 2.4 gHz signal only so in my laptop settings I choose only the 5.0 gHz signal. Both my laptop, the house router, and my cell phone are dual band. Her Apple iPhone and desktop all-in-one are not, yes?
    Last point, my cell (a Note3) will choose the stronger signal. Later when I looked at it it was on the 2.4 band but it was idle so any traffic on it was incoming only.
    11-26-2016 04:52 PM
    While the laptop is doing things on the laptop, it can't affect the router, so your updating the laptop - using a file that finished downloading - wouldn't have affected her connection.

Is there a way to decide who gets what? Yes, it's called QoS (quality of service) and you can set her phone to take precedence. The setting is in the router. (If you don't see it, don't panic - not all routers support QoS settings.)
    11-26-2016 05:11 PM
    Well if the 2.4 is the stronger signal isn't that already set?
    11-26-2016 07:05 PM
    No, Apple doesn't only use 2.4 gHz. My 2012 MBP is currently connected to my 5 gHz network. What networks are supported depends on what year/model the computer is.
    11-26-2016 08:07 PM