i have just bought a new smart phone, should i drain the batrry first or charge it directly to 100%?

Mycrossover

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
The888 battery protection circuit prevents the battery from discharging below a certain voltage. When it kicks in, that is when the phone shows 0. But you are right, charge it and enjoy it. The safety circuit also prevents over charging. Lithium batteries are fussy and must be kept between upper and lower limits.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
NEVER let the phone discharge completely - except for the first 3 times - fully charge*, then use it until it shuts off. After that, don't let it fall below 40%.

*Charge it until it indicates 100% - then for an additional 30 minutes. Due to the only way we can measure State of Charge of a lithium battery, the moment it hits 100%, it's really about 98%. And, as Mycrossover said, "overcharging" it is impossible (I've had phones on the charger for days - and the batteries are fine) because the charging circuit in the phone stops when the battery is at a real 100%. So 3 full charges, use it until it shuts off, then never let it drop below 40%. (Start looking for an outlet at 50% and you'll find one before it drops to 40%.)