"WIN" floating icon; malware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AC Question

Since this morning there has been a mysterious floating widget/icon on my phone (3rd gen Moto G running Android 6). The icon is a yellow pouch with two smartphones in it and "WIN" in red letters across the front. I can move the icon around, but it snaps to the edges (including over top of other app icons and sometimes floats above apps, i.e. it isn't always on the homescreen). It cannot be removed the way ordinary icons can, by dragging to the "(x)" at the top of the screen. I haven't clicked on it, for obvious reasons. It doesn't appear in my list of apps. I haven't downloaded anything recently and have only been using my usual social media apps. Is anyone else seeing the same thing? How do I get rid of it?

I can't post a link to the image because the forum says it's spam.

bongodrumm

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
My wife is having the same issue on her Samsung Galaxy S7. What apps do you have installed? Try find a common app, and we may have caught the suspect. It can't be a network thing as we are in New Zealand, nor a phone thing, obviously as you have a different phone.

Do you use TouchPal keyboard?
Have you installed Rolling Sky? Or a body weight app? Just looking at her most recent installs. Otherwise could be from a site visited.

I have just installed 360 security on her phone and run the antivirus/malware part and it did come up with one of the TouchPal themes as adware. Will see of that fixes it or not

apesofhove

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Pretty sure it is TouchPal. Seems to appear late morning. The first time I accidentally opened it but once open you can dismiss it. A couple of days ago I left it on screen and tried uninstalling just TouchPal and it disappeared. I've put TouchPal back on and it is back The next test would be to leave TouchPal uninstalled for a few days but not convenient for me at the moment.
Oddly it isn't appearing on my wife's Xperia 3c with the same TouchPal installed. I'm on a Galaxy S7

apesofhove

May 21, 2013
Visit site
36 hours after removing TouchPal no sign of the floating icon so goodbye TouchPal. They have pulled stunts like this so often that I've finally given up despite the fact that i loved the prediction and general keyboard handling. I've installed Google keyboard instead which actually is much easier to see for my poor old eyes 😊

Vaperkitten Reed

Sep 2, 2017
Visit site
This works!!!! "From the Touchpal App icon click the sandwich" panel -> settings -> Look & Feel -> Lucky Locker -> tick off "Lucky Locker" then you can still use your touchpal and not deal with the stupid stuff. May have to repeat it every so often not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.