Help figuring out file transfer issue.

Nuterwal

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
Okay, so I think I got a pretty good one. But I really hope I'm just stupid and someone else is capable of figuring this out in the matter of minutes.

Anyways, to put it simply, I'm having trouble transferring files from my computer onto my phone via usb.

The gritty details:

-I've had the phone for a while now (it's a DROID XT1080 Ultra) and up until this point it's been pretty good. Never had any issues putting any kind of file onto it.

-Phone has some damage: slightly cracked screen and the home and other bottom buttons don't work properly anymore due to some of the cracks. (This is pretty recent so maybe it's playing an issue, idk.. never heard of something like that happening where the usb port was still functioning.)

-The other day, after deleting a bunch of my music off of my phone to record some videos, I discovered that I can't upload files onto my phone.

-However, I am capable of copying files off of my phone and onto my computer with no problem. In fact, with the exception of the files in the /Android/ folder, I copied all of my files off my phone and onto my computer after discovering this issue as backup.

-For some reason, I can upload some files onto my phone. For instance a couple of pictures I had saved onto my device for the purpose of website acc pictures.

-Most pictures wouldn't upload and pretty much any other file, especially .mp3, would not upload.

-Was able, for a brief period, able to upload some stuff onto my phone (most of my backuped data and a band's worth of music) like I had done in the past. However, after stupidly deciding to unplug my phone so I could take it with me to class, I haven't been able to replicate being able to get stuff on my phone.

-I am able to put stuff on my phone via wifi with file transfer programs. (I'm not going to consider this an option, as I'm a poor college student and most of those programs want you to pay a monthly subscription after the first hundred MB or so and I'm not willing to fork over any money for something that I will barely use.)

What I have tried:

-Different USB ports on my computer (both 2.0 and 3.0 USB ports) No difference in 2.0 ports. Phone wouldn't stay connected with the 3.0. The device would just keep connecting and disconnecting.

-Having USB debugging on with my phone. (Obviously I also had the "Media Device" thing ticked.)

-Rebooting my phone after plugging it in. As well as booting my computer with the device already plugged in.

-Removing my SIM card just in case that might've been interfering (didn't have a carrier up until a couple months ago and this is the first time I've needed to put files onto my phone from my computer). Removing an SD card isn't possible as the XT1080 doesn't have a SD card slot.

-I've also tried a file manager program for my phone off of my computer but it wasn't able to connect to my phone properly.

-Factory reset my phone. And attempted to upload files onto it before allowing it to update or adding any other app onto my phone (which is essentially what I did when I first got it).

In all honesty I can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong with my phone. I figure if it was a hardware issue, either my USB cord or my USB port on my phone being to blame, I wouldn't be able to charge my phone let alone copy files off my phone and onto my computer with no issue. If it was a software or driver issue, I couldn't imagine I'd be able to look at the files on my phone from my computer (which I am very much capable of doing) or much of anything else.

Phone info:
DROID ULTRA XT1080
System version: 24.21.7.obake_verizon.Verizon.en.US
System info: Motorola X8 Mobile Computing System
Android Version: 4.4.4
Android Security Patch Level 2016-04-01
Baseband version: MSM8960PRO_BP_23255.132.81.03R
Kernel Version: 3.4.42-g2730d20
hudsoncm@ilclbld35 #1
Sat Apr 16 01:01:35 CDT 2015
Build date: Sat Apr 16 00:51:01 CDT 2016
Build Number: SU6-7.7

I have some free time coming up, so I think I'm going to stop by the store and pick up a new USB cable on the offshoot that it is an issue with that. Kinda hoping it is cause I don't like the idea of dealing with the *** ache of troubleshooting software and driver issues and I ESPECIALLY don't like the idea of having to get a new phone because of this (because, beyond this the phone works totally fine.. and again.. poor college student).

Sorry if this has been a bit rambling. This has been pretty stressful and my head is anything but straight right now.

spanner2017

Aug 2, 2017
Visit site
Okay, so I think I got a pretty good one. But I really hope I'm just stupid and someone else is capable of figuring this out in the matter of minutes.

Anyways, to put it simply, I'm having trouble transferring files from my computer onto my phone via usb.

The gritty details:

-I've had the phone for a while now (it's a DROID XT1080 Ultra) and up until this point it's been pretty good. Never had any issues putting any kind of file onto it.

-Phone has some damage: slightly cracked screen and the home and other bottom buttons don't work properly anymore due to some of the cracks. (This is pretty recent so maybe it's playing an issue, idk.. never heard of something like that happening where the usb port was still functioning.)

-The other day, after deleting a bunch of my music off of my phone to record some videos, I discovered that I can't upload files onto my phone.

-However, I am capable of copying files off of my phone and onto my computer with no problem. In fact, with the exception of the files in the /Android/ folder, I copied all of my files off my phone and onto my computer after discovering this issue as backup.

-For some reason, I can upload some files onto my phone. For instance a couple of pictures I had saved onto my device for the purpose of website acc pictures.

-Most pictures wouldn't upload and pretty much any other file, especially .mp3, would not upload.

-Was able, for a brief period, able to upload some stuff onto my phone (most of my backuped data and a band's worth of music) like I had done in the past. However, after stupidly deciding to unplug my phone so I could take it with me to class, I haven't been able to replicate being able to get stuff on my phone.

-I am able to put stuff on my phone via wifi with file transfer programs. (I'm not going to consider this an option, as I'm a poor college student and most of those programs want you to pay a monthly subscription after the first hundred MB or so and I'm not willing to fork over any money for something that I will barely use.)

What I have tried:

-Different USB ports on my computer (both 2.0 and 3.0 USB ports) No difference in 2.0 ports. Phone wouldn't stay connected with the 3.0. The device would just keep connecting and disconnecting.

-Having USB debugging on with my phone. (Obviously I also had the "Media Device" thing ticked.)

-Rebooting my phone after plugging it in. As well as booting my computer with the device already plugged in.

-Removing my SIM card just in case that might've been interfering (didn't have a carrier up until a couple months ago and this is the first time I've needed to put files onto my phone from my computer). Removing an SD card isn't possible as the XT1080 doesn't have a SD card slot.

-I've also tried a file manager program for my phone off of my computer but it wasn't able to connect to my phone properly.

-Factory reset my phone. And attempted to upload files onto it before allowing it to update or adding any other app onto my phone (which is essentially what I did when I first got it).

In all honesty I can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong with my phone. I figure if it was a hardware issue, either my USB cord or my USB port on my phone being to blame, I wouldn't be able to charge my phone let alone copy files off my phone and onto my computer with no issue. If it was a software or driver issue, I couldn't imagine I'd be able to look at the files on my phone from my computer (which I am very much capable of doing) or much of anything else.

Phone info:
DROID ULTRA XT1080
System version: 24.21.7.obake_verizon.Verizon.en.US
System info: Motorola X8 Mobile Computing System
Android Version: 4.4.4
Android Security Patch Level 2016-04-01
Baseband version: MSM8960PRO_BP_23255.132.81.03R
Kernel Version: 3.4.42-g2730d20
hudsoncm@ilclbld35 #1
Sat Apr 16 01:01:35 CDT 2015
Build date: Sat Apr 16 00:51:01 CDT 2016
Build Number: SU6-7.7

I have some free time coming up, so I think I'm going to stop by the store and pick up a new USB cable on the offshoot that it is an issue with that. Kinda hoping it is cause I don't like the idea of dealing with the *** ache of troubleshooting software and driver issues and I ESPECIALLY don't like the idea of having to get a new phone because of this (because, beyond this the phone works totally fine.. and again.. poor college student).

Sorry if this has been a bit rambling. This has been pretty stressful and my head is anything but straight right now.

HI! Did you ever figure this out? I am having a similar issue with my Samsung Galaxy S6 :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34