WhatsApp Doesn't See Local Backup

A

AC Question

Hi, I am migrating from one Android phone to another.
On the old phone, backups were to the SD card. Unfortunately, this card will not work in the new phone--I don't know why; the vendor doesn't know either.
I copied the files, including the chat backups, to the computer.
I copied the most recent chat file to Google Drive, both in the root directory and as the only file in a new WhatsApp directory.
I also copied the file to the new SD card on the new phone, after making the following directory: WhatsApp.

I then uninstalled and reinstalled the program.
It asked me if I wanted to Restore, then said that it could find no Google account. I am always logged into Gmail and Google Play.
It did not give me the option to restore from the local SD card, and went right in to asking me to set up a profile--it used the logged in gmail address.
Now the program is running but there is no way to restore the chats.
Remember, I have multiple valid chat files saved on a separate sd card and on the computer.

The backups were made using the same phone number, also on an Android phone, just a few days ago.
The new phone is Vivo v5, the old phone is Blu 5.

Please let me know how I can back up the chats.

DaSaunder

Jun 6, 2020
Visit site
I just found something that may help. My SD card had to be changed so I transferred the Whatsapp files from a local backup to the new SD card using the same folder structure and then uninstalled and reinstalled Whatsapp (described in other threads). Whatsapp didn't offer to restore the files because the default storage location (settings > memory & storage) was set to internal. I change the default to the SD card and repeated the uninstall/reinstall and it provided the restore prompt and restored the files, data etc.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I just found something that may help. My SD card had to be changed so I transferred the Whatsapp files from a local backup to the new SD card using the same folder structure and then uninstalled and reinstalled Whatsapp (described in other threads). Whatsapp didn't offer to restore the files because the default storage location (settings > memory & storage) was set to internal. I change the default to the SD card and repeated the uninstall/reinstall and it provided the restore prompt and restored the files, data etc.
Hi, welcome!
This was about 4 years ago OP had the issue possible fixed or moved on